Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

SPD and foods

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

So I am new to this SPD stuff and I am starting to read stuff about different foods affecting behavior. What is the deal? Red dye? What does that do? Is there a book or website I can reference to learn about all this?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this
There is a great book, full of recipes called "Special diets for Special kids" you can get it on Amazon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM

there's a lot of science that says cutting out red dye, sugars, gluten and caesin helps behaviors. We've recently switched to a paleo diet (gf, grain free, sugar free, dairy free, etc) and have seen some improvement, though mostly with our oldest who has aspergers. Our daughter has spd and I havent been able to see any real noticable change in her :( 

To learn more about spd in general, try finding the book The Out Of Sync Child. It really helps to make sense of a lot of what goes on in their minds and bodies.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Elyssa has a good idea! Hugs and good luck!

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Welcome to the group!!

Hottubgodess
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM

The standards are gluten, sugar, dairy, MSG, artificial sweetners (including spenda) and red dye.  :)  But each child is different.  Mine only has sensitivities to peanuts (full blown allergy).  :) 

CameronsMommy23
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I've been reading up on this too. I'll have to look at those sites.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM

My son has SPD. I dont know if i have really linked any foods to his behaviors really. But things with red 40 in it (cheese balls, fruit loops, hersey pre mixed strawberry milk) make him puke within seconds of it hitting his stomach :/

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I have no knowledge on it, but definitely something I will be looking at now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)