Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

alternatives to Pediasure??

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM
  • 21 Replies

My youngest will be 3 in April and has been on Pediasure for quite a while now and I'm not sure its doing him any good. He's only gained about a pound and a half in 6 months. We were getting it on WIC but have dropped wic and my supply is running low. I'm trying to find a less expensive (and perferably healthier) option. They've also told me to add lots of fat and calories to his diet, but again, going for healthy gain. Any ideas or advice? I've heard Carnation instant breakfast is good...

ladybug

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes, Carnation Instant Breakfast is a good option. It has 30 calories per ounce when mixed with whole milk and tastes great! My son drank it for a while when was younger. Good luck!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM

yeah, i think we'll try it. Thanks!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yes, Carnation Instant Breakfast is a good option. It has 30 calories per ounce when mixed with whole milk and tastes great! My son drank it for a while when was younger. Good luck!

ladybug

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Most stores now carry their own brand that compares to Pediasure.  I know Safeway has Mother's Choice Pediatric Drink, Giant has Cottontails and Walmart had Parent's Choice.   I just noticed over the weekend that Target now has their own brand as well.  They are on average anywhere from $3-$4 per 6 pack, cheaper than Pediasure.  My son drinks almost a 6 pack a day (LOL, that sounds funny, doesn't it) and it is a significant savings, but still costly, IMO.

You can also add things to his diet that are naturally high in fat and calories, like peanut butter and avocado.  You can make smoothies, if he'll drink them, and some of these higher calorie foods as well.  Oh, and make sure you use full fat versions of milk, sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese, etc.

letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

ask  his DR to                     perscribe something and get his insurance to pay for it , its worth a try

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I use Carnation, but I also add 4 ounces of half and half to whole milk. I just read an article on adding calories, I'll see if I can find it again. That's where I found the half and half idea. I also use peanut butter in place of butter on his waffles.

CameronsMommy23
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Carnation instant breakfast is the only other option I know of. Maybe ask the pediatrician for an idea?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Eggnog is nice and fattening. I can personally attest to that. :)

created4apurpos
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

ovaltine actually has more nutrients in some ways than carnation instant breakfast, tastes better too.  I compared the 2 at one point.  carnation instant breakfast gives more flacor variety if you can find the other flavors

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I've heard that before too.

We're trying to go fully dairy free so his pediasure is about the only dairy in the house lol.We drink almond or coconut milk, but I could definitly add the ovaltine to that. I've tried adding goat cheese to a few recipes and that actually went over fairly well, so we may get some more of that and try to add that in to a few things to raise calories.

His problem is that he just eats so little and is so very active. Its insane. He's allergic to wheat and eggs, so that cuts out a lot of calories. I'm experimenting with gf bread recipes and haven't found one every one likes so far :(

Thanks for the help ladies. I really appreciate it.

Quoting created4apurpos:

ovaltine actually has more nutrients in some ways than carnation instant breakfast, tastes better too.  I compared the 2 at one point.  carnation instant breakfast gives more flacor variety if you can find the other flavors

ladybug

graycalico
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Almond milk isn't very fattening. That's all my ds drank and he wasnt gaining. He's been on pediasure 1.5 months and he's gained over 2 pounds. I think carnation has a lot more junk than pediasure. I'm going to look into the ovaltine now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN