Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

? For Moms with Kids that Have SPD

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM
  • 26 Replies
My ds is 3.5 and has recently started OT that is once a week. He also receives OT once a week at school. Around 4 pm..whether he has had school that day or not..he gets really hyper(for lack of a better word). The OT has suggested baths, big tight hugs, massage with lotion at night to help calm him down I guess? This isnt working. No amount of hugging and massages is going to calm this kid down. Im at my wits end. I love him so much but this is stressing me out. What kinds of things would help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Seems to me like he is looking for vestibular and proprioceptive input.
Take cushions off couch- place on floor, let him dive in.
Have a pillow fight with him where u hit him a little hard with pillows. Tackle hom with pillow and press down. Have him lay on a blanket and drag him around ur house ( safely) with him on blanket and your holding blanket edge. Wrap him like a taco. Have him walk on his hands and you hold his legs like wheel barrow.
Hold him by his ankles and hold him upside down.
All of this may relax him, give him input his body craves. Our kids dont know where their bodies end and the world begins.. These activities help his body learn and fill a need his brain is struggling with.

Dies ur son have tactile issues? Take showers, play with shaving cream. Remember water temp may b much hotter to him then u. Let him play with pudding or yogurt on table.

A huge help for my guy who hated getting dressed was to put his clothes in the dryer. His body feels the heat, feels the clothes..Adjusts easily to the change.

I hope this helps!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Maybe incorporate more lavender scented lotion and bath soap. It's suppose to be calming,

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Yes he tactile issues. He has to touch everything but then also doesnt like his hands dirty. And he has issues with his oral, visual, and auditory senses. I will try those activities. Are you sure those wont make him more hyper?

Quoting SamMom912:

Seems to me like he is looking for vestibular and proprioceptive input.

Take cushions off couch- place on floor, let him dive in.

Have a pillow fight with him where u hit him a little hard with pillows. Tackle hom with pillow and press down. Have him lay on a blanket and drag him around ur house ( safely) with him on blanket and your holding blanket edge. Wrap him like a taco. Have him walk on his hands and you hold his legs like wheel barrow.

Hold him by his ankles and hold him upside down.

All of this may relax him, give him input his body craves. Our kids dont know where their bodies end and the world begins.. These activities help his body learn and fill a need his brain is struggling with.

Dies ur son have tactile issues? Take showers, play with shaving cream. Remember water temp may b much hotter to him then u. Let him play with pudding or yogurt on table.

A huge help for my guy who hated getting dressed was to put his clothes in the dryer. His body feels the heat, feels the clothes..Adjusts easily to the change.

I hope this helps!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM
If they do get him going in the beginning, they will eventually put his body at ease. You're not doing this just before bed, maybe an hour or two before... Then reading and giving bedtime cues for good nite sleep.

Id save the showers and pudding play for early afternoons.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM
You also may want to buy weighted blanket 4 him to sleep under.
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I cant because he has sensitive skin. We use burts bees unscented shampoo and body wash. And we use unscented lotion. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Quoting mandee1503:

Maybe incorporate more lavender scented lotion and bath soap. It's suppose to be calming,

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I have the same issues with my 5 year old dd. I haven't found a solution that works yet. Doing anything makes her more hyper. It seems like the more tired she gets, the more wound up she gets. I'll be talking to a developmental pediatrician soon.
lasombrs
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM

My son has spd and autism. He has been in OT since about 18 months. The deep pressure massage and wights have never worked for him. He also hates water.

Pretty much what SamMom912 said. We wear him out with other things to try to give him imput. My son also needs ice cold water anything short of causing hypotermia and he screams its hot :/

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM
My son doesnt hate the water. Normally baths are soothing for people but not him. He just acts crazy in the tub.

Quoting lasombrs:

My son has spd and autism. He has been in OT since about 18 months. The deep pressure massage and wights have never worked for him. He also hates water.

Pretty much what SamMom912 said. We wear him out with other things to try to give him imput. My son also needs ice cold water anything short of causing hypotermia and he screams its hot :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:06 PM
What about adding foods with tryptophan at night? Milk, turkey, chicken, soy beans...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)