Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Occupational Therapy

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 18 Replies
Is it normal for the OT to take your child back alone? It kinda makes me uncomfortable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bellum
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep- depending on the exact type of therapy.  For feeding I might go back, but most times the child goes back alone.  Ask if you can sit in, or listen at the door if you are nervous.  They should be fine with that.  Good luck!

sadiebug1228
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Hmm never had to deal with this. My daughter comes to my house lol so much easier
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
After a certain age, most kids go into therapy without their parents. Usually they work harder without you there, in my experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:04 AM
Yes. I go and sit in occasionally. My ots share rooms with other therapists too. Plus there's windows in every door. both of mine are women which makes me more comfortable too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Yep, exactly!  If you don't like it, talk to her about it:)

Quoting Elyssa414:

After a certain age, most kids go into therapy without their parents. Usually they work harder without you there, in my experience.

willysmama
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Yes, i have been fortunate enough to talk to my son's therapists and allowed to go back. My son has trust issues and doesn't always feel comfortable when he is back there doing therapy. Just talk with the therapist and let them know how you feel.

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Yes, very normal. My kids do much better without me there. I do sit in if I need to learn certain treatments for home, but it is much better for the therapist to give the child their full attention and a thorough evaluation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
confused632
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Yes, the kids work harder for them if their parent is not there to "save" them.  Our OT is shares rooms and activities with other therapists but each child has their own therapist.  Most are women but they do have 1 man but he I would trust him with my daughter as he has worked with my son for several years and my son loves him.

If you are uncomfortable with them going back alone you can request to sit in or "shadow" them as they work....go back after they do so your child doesn't see you and follow them through it all.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM
My son has a male OT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM
My son is only 3. His OT is a man. It just surprised me. Especially with my son being so young. His OT is really nice. And cute. lol My son takes a while just to warm up to him at every appt. Today he wouldnt leave the waiting room for 20 min. So thats 20 min out of his 60 min therapy appt.

Quoting Elyssa414:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)