Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Selective mutism, please help!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

My nine year old daughter was diagnosed with social anxiety and selective mutism at seven years old.  unfortunately, I was unable to keep her in therapy because it was outrageously expensive, even with insurance.  After having a conference with her teacher the other day, I was made aware of just how it is affecting her academically.  She's in fourth grade now.  I'm working on getting her into a clinic that is income based but it could take a month or more.  She is one of the brighter kids in her class, but I'm afraid she will get lost in the system as she moves into the upper grades.  I live in a very small rural area, so mental health care is hard to find, and at least a 30 minute drive away.  I need advice from experienced moms, I want to know what to expect and what I can do now before she starts therapy to get her warmed up for it.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Good luck! I have no experience but some other moms do!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My son has selective mutism as well. We put him in exposure therapy and tackled all aspects of his anxiety using exposures/rewards and social stories. We set a baseline for what he is expected to say, (for him it is hi, bye, yes and no), and will expand it when that becomes too easy. There are a few good books on selective mutism that may help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gma12.1
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Sorry no experience with this. Good Luck Momma!

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Hugs mama!  Good luck!

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM
((Hugs))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RJC78
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Thanks ladies.  Idk what to do.  I feel like I'm failing her.  We talked last night about her going back to a therapist and the possibility of medication for anxiety and she seems ok with it.  Feels like no matter what I do there is a possibility of hurting her further.  It's so hard to know when youi're right as a parent.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)