Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Cause & Effect and Learning to speak

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

In therapy they are trying to teach my daughter cause and effect by activating a button to start a toy. She has visual imparement and very low muscle tone so it's more difficult to get her to engage in the toy. Are there any other methods of teaching cause and effect? How long did it take your children to learn and what words can they say?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jmrb2012
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

my daughter is the same way she is 9 months old now and im trying to get her to say mama lol... sorry if that doesnt help just nice to know someone who knows some of the things we are going through

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM
For my son it took a long time to want to play with toys and to talk. He didn't understand cause and effect until he was 6-7, and still struggles with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM

My son took a while to learn that if he pushed a large button on a toy, then it would light up and play music.  Now that he gets it, he is so happy when he plays with his toys!  He doesn't speak yet though.  Hugs mama!

Bellum
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM

There are some low tech ways of doing this.  Shared movement,such as rocking her, stopping, and then waiting for her to indicate she wants more, either by vocalizing,turning her head,, whatever is appropriate for her, with the expectation that she will say more, look at your face, whatever.  Tell her teachers about things she enjoys, if it is music, getting lotion on her hands, etc.  I sometimes would hook the switch up to a fan, the kids enjoyed that sensation, or a bubble machine ( that may be too hard for her see).  Try to get her teachers to think outside the box, ant thing that has batteries or plugs in can be attached to the switch.  I was a teacher for many years, ans what works for one child won't work for others.  Make sure they are positioning her so she can reach the switch easily, at least while initially learning cause and effect.  

willysmama
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

learning cause and effect takes a while. My son doesn't seem to interested in cause and effect toys are anything like that unless its something he wants to do. Like activating a toy he could careless, a button to push to tell a story he loves! My son does speak buts far and few between. He can say mama, daddy, papa, pa, mawmaw, grandma, gramy, i love you, fishing pole, trisha(teacher), emma(aide), Jeff(friend), doggy, dog, luna(dog's name), i want, go to go, milk, juice, etc.....The list is long. He only speaks when he cares too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN