Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Do you have a child with sensory issues?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 12 Replies
I think my son has sensory issues. How did you get your child diagnosed? What were the symptoms? How old were they when they were diagnosed?
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nurse-mommy
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Yes. DS does. He's 28mos. He's an always in motion kid... going and going. Touching everything all the time. Very focused on one thing. Attatched to strange things. He's not verbal right now, mostly using simple sign and pointing. We're waiting to see a developmental pediatrician in June for a diagnosis, although our ped and his therapists think "sensory processing disorder" and maybe more.. He's in early intervention speech therapy and occupational therapy... as well as a sensory play group. The best thing for you is to be proactive, ask for evaluations, ask questions and be persistent... be the advocate! Good luck to you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Yes, my youngest dd does. She was diagnosed by an occupational therapist at around 2 years old. She avoided a lot of things like grass, noises, certain textures, movement, etc. Well, not avoid exactly, more like completely freaked out by those things. The most obvious sign for her was that she would curl her hand in a fist when avoiding certain textures.

She is also a seeker and always has to kick or move her legs. She is unusually attracted to standing on toys. Things that would make anyone else scream, like Legos.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Hugs mama!  I would see a developmental pediatrician to get further answers and such.  

megandwade
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM

We started seeking answers for my sons "odd behaviors" around 15 months. We knew very early on that he had many strange quirks. At first we weren't sure if he was just a super silly odd ball, if it was something to be concerned about. At 18 months we started Early Intervention. Sensory Processing Disorder is not medically diagnosed. Doctors don't believe in it... but it is real and you can get help through therapy. Usually a therapist will let you know if they believe your child has it or not and to what degree... We have a Speech, Special Interest, and Occupational Therapist that come to the house once a week for therapy.

Talk to your Pediatrician to see if you have an Early Intervention Program in your area? You may also want to take him to a Developmental Unit to make sure there arent any other issues such as Autism, which often go along with the sensory disorder.

My son's repetitive movements (often referred to as self stimulation's or stims) where our biggest red flag. At first he would shake his head constantly. This was at a very young age, before 15 months. He would flap his hands, make strange movements with his fingers, and walk on his tip toes. He was obsessed with things that spun (toy car wheels, fans, etc). He uses his peripheral vision to look at things. He was obsessed with opening and closing doors. He has avoidance to certain textures and new things. Very picky about things like clothing, and food. He also seeks deep pressure input. He often needs tight hugs and lots of rough housing. He is now 2 and has outgrown a lot of his sensory behaviors! The therapists do wonders! Our biggest problem now is his continuous spinning in circles. (He also has a language disorder so he is currently non verbal)

spdfoundation.net & sensory-processing-disorder.com are two good places to start!

Hottubgodess
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Yes.  I have a defensive and a seeker (yep, opposite ends of the spectrum!) LOL.  

We have a great OT who has done wonders for my boys.  Ask for an OT consult.  

britmichele
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Yes, my son does. I would definitely get your child evaluated, there are therapies and people who can help you
lovetobemomof5
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Yes, I sure do! My son is now 6. I noticed symptoms when he was 3 months old.. We got him into Birth to Three which is an early intervention program. He won't eat food that is touching each other. Doesn't like the texture of ketchup, mustard, ect. Loud noises ( planes that fly over our house, stores, ect), tags on clothes, some types of clothes bother him too.. Doesn' like his hand dirty ( wont carve a pumpkin and take the seeds out)... the list goes on! Oh, he doesn't like grass on his bare feet!!!!! Can you imagine not going outside with no shoes one and running in the grass only that sets off sensory for you? I couldn't believe it!!! For therepy we started out with head phones and he was able to ride in the car without screaming the entire time, they have weighted blankets, and some other tools. We also did the compression therepy. I read up on sensory processing disorder and that has helped me parent my son better He has a hard time siting at the table for meals so we have him push his chair back and stand at the table ( a theripist suggested it ) and it works!!! If you have concerns I would start with your primary care physician and go from there.

RobinChristine
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Thor's are cetain noises(like walking thru a mall,being outside and a firetruck passes by)He also does not like long sleeve shirts and pants. Living in ohio makes this difficult this time of year! In the house he is alloed to wear shorts/t-shirt.i did not know "odd"toys  was a sympton,Thor prefers hangers or  spatulas over any "normal"toy

annelauer
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I recommend reading "The Out of Sync Child". Our OT recommended it and it's great. We noticed that something was off with our daughter when she was about 4 months. We were able to begin services about 6 months later. She was recently diagnosed with sensory. Symptoms vary widely between children. Guess we lucked out because we already had therapists in the house.
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Good book!!

Quoting annelauer:

I recommend reading "The Out of Sync Child". Our OT recommended it and it's great. We noticed that something was off with our daughter when she was about 4 months. We were able to begin services about 6 months later. She was recently diagnosed with sensory. Symptoms vary widely between children. Guess we lucked out because we already had therapists in the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)