Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Hey! I'm back!!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've had tons going on in life. So we got all the results from Allie's testing. The school confirmed she does have aspergers. Duh....her social level is that of a 2 year old. They did IQ testing, though they said its unofficial and she'll need proper testing when she's closer to 10. Her IQ tested on their tests as 163. Now I'm worried, mine is 134, she is almost 30 ahead. I dread the teenage years when she will try to outsmart me...and she may succeed.

The next thing is, they not know what to do with her since she has such extremes. She'll be 5 in may with almost 3 years social delay. However she has the IQ that the teachers can't keep up with her to keep her focused. Allie has used words that the teacher had to look up. However she's using them correctly!! I believe it. One morning she told me she had been alive for a quadrennium. I looked it up and it's a period of 4 years.

So they are looking at ideas that will help her educationally. We shall see what they come up with...I'll be doing my own research in the main time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Wow! 163?!? That's wild. My brother is around 145, and he's a crazy genius! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I know! It has me stressed. Both my brothers and I are in the 130s and are considered above average intelligence. Though they both lack in the common sense department.

It's like, no wonder I feel like I can't keep up with her!!

Quoting Elyssa414:

Wow! 163?!? That's wild. My brother is around 145, and he's a crazy genius! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Wow! I hope the teachers are able to help. Maybe look into an older tudor. Around higher grades, that can help with the advancement, so she isn't bored being in a class with her peers.

gma12.1
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You are going to have your hands full! I am so glad that the teachers are really trying to find a way to work with her conflicting levels. I had to deal with 3 almost genius level IQ's out of 6 kids. I know what a handfull a genius can be. GL

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM
It is quite common for people with Aspergers to have very high IQs, so I am sure there are answers out there for how to work with a child with such extremes. You might want to talk to the director in the school systems Spec Ed Dept, as well as contacting a local Aspergers support group (sometimes our best resources are other parents) for ideas on how to do that.

The good news is that she should qualify for an IEP and that will help with creating individual goals that are what SHE needs to be successful. So, you could very well have social skills goals that are very basic, but still allow her to be challenged intellectually in the classroom.
Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Her teachers want to talk to the local aspergers group and do some research to find the best path for her IEP.

They were talking about sending her to a private school paid by the district.

Quoting jjamom:

It is quite common for people with Aspergers to have very high IQs, so I am sure there are answers out there for how to work with a child with such extremes. You might want to talk to the director in the school systems Spec Ed Dept, as well as contacting a local Aspergers support group (sometimes our best resources are other parents) for ideas on how to do that.

The good news is that she should qualify for an IEP and that will help with creating individual goals that are what SHE needs to be successful. So, you could very well have social skills goals that are very basic, but still allow her to be challenged intellectually in the classroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Oh wow! I hope you can find resources in the school system. It's tough when they are young to find the right programs for gifted children. Hopefully your school can offer advanced placement classes or a similar program, even if they have to create one. As she gets older there are more options like taking college courses that count towards both college and high school. Good luck!
sammygrl77
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM
That would be great! Just be careful because sometimes private schools do not offer as much as public schools. I was taking advanced classes in junior high. My parents thought it would be better to send me to private school because they supposedly had more advanced work. It wasn't enough to challenge me like the advanced placement classes and the school was too small to offer those.

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Her teachers want to talk to the local aspergers group and do some research to find the best path for her IEP.

Quoting jjamom:

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Glad you got answers!! She is a genius!

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
We only have one in the area that I would allow her to go to. It's in a couple of states even. They specifically are for advanced kids.

Quoting sammygrl77:

That would be great! Just be careful because sometimes private schools do not offer as much as public schools. I was taking advanced classes in junior high. My parents thought it would be better to send me to private school because they supposedly had more advanced work. It wasn't enough to challenge me like the advanced placement classes and the school was too small to offer those.

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Quoting jjamom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)