Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Always hungry and obsessed with food?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 27 Replies
Zack is 6 and always hungry! The kid can eat and eat and eat. Tonight we sat down for dinner and I just gave him a second helping and he started asking about what we're going to have for breakfast! We have never been without food. He gets 3 meals and a snack. He just acts like he's starving to death. If I don't limit him, he could easily eat an entire meal I've made for the whole family. And when asking for more, he's always concerned about if there will be enough for him to have more after that. Anybody else have a kid like this? is it normal?

ladybug

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessed4918
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Brittany is  19 and loves to eat we do have our moments and she can do the close together thing to sends me crazy at times

dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM

He could be in a growth spirt at the moment which could increase his hunger. The only other alternative is him adjusting to the Celiac's Disease diet. I know that I was very hungry the first couple of months that I went Gluten Free.

gma12.1
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Lina is like that. She just grew almost 2 inches in 6 weeks. She has always been food obsessed which caused me to have her tested for Prader-Willi & Angelman's both were neg. She asks the night before what she is having to eat at school & what we are having for dinner, in the morning it is the samething. She gets meals & snacks also but I keep them 2.5-3 hours apart like the dietician told me because she is obese. We always have food in the house and she has never gone hungry. We aren't exactly sure what is going with her.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Thanks. I'm wondering if I should get him a drs appointment or not. It's been going on for a while. He eats like crazy but doesn't seen to be gaining weight. Stick thin too. And we are paleo for the most part so we eat healthy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM

My son has the opposite problem...hugs mama!

Pukalani79
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM

My daughter was constantly hungry or wanting to eat. It was a side effect of the medication she was on.  She's off of it now, and things calmed down.  But lately she's back to be hungry and wanting to eat especially at night.  She told me yesterday she was worried she was gaining weight again because she was always hungry at night (She's 9).  My DH and I were talking about it, and we think it's because she eats next to nothing during the day, so by bedtime she's "starving."  Hopefully we can find ways to get her to eat during the day. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM

talk to his DR about this

Bellum
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

That is one sign of juvenile or type 1 diabetes.  I would talk to the dr.  about it.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM
I would think that too but it's been happening for a while now, even before the diet change.

Quoting dawncs:

He could be in a growth spirt at the moment which could increase his hunger. The only other alternative is him adjusting to the Celiac's Disease diet. I know that I was very hungry the first couple of months that I went Gluten Free.

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM
I agree, talk to his Dr, could be something as simple as a growth spurt, or more serious.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN