Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going to the geneticist.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 17 Replies

Tomorrow i am taking my son to the geneticist for the first time. We have been waiting for this appointment for over two years!! I am a little nervous about this, and i am not sure what to expect. If any of you could tell me about your experiences with this that would help me out a lot. Thank you ladies.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amiesmomma
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I'm no help.  our geneticist misdiagnosed our daughter.  Are you getting an evaluation or genetic testing?  We just had an evaluation.

JOEJULA
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

They do a full family history. They look at the childs features and symptoms to help make a diagnosis. Then they run tons of gentic testing that take at least 4-6 weeks to get back.

sammygrl77
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM

be sure and let us know how it goes , ok

mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck. We never went forward with genetics.

JasmineJoy
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

During the first appointment all they did was ask a lot of family history questions and questions about what DD can and can't do. They scheduled another appointment to draw blood for testing. All together it took about 6 weeks to get a diagnosis.

Jennyvltmn
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I am not sure what they are going to do, or what kind of test they will be doing. In fact i am not sure at all if this is for testing, or an evaluation. I think that they want to give my son a diagnosis. They already have done some blood work to look at his chromosomes, but that all came back good.....So i don't really know what is going to happen, but i will keep all of you updated.

natesmom1228
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I don't have any experience with this. Keep us posted!

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM

My ob doc had us go. I was pregnant and my doc knew nothing about what my boyfriend had. He has hsp. It affects the legs.  Doc asked family history. And said its a 50/50 that baby could have or not. Could not do any kind of testing cause it cost a lot of money. And Medicaid not paying for it. And we don't have that kind of money. Jacob does have it. And his baby brother does not. 

proudmommy22775
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM
We had amazing dr in those types of clinics nd they have been very helpful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)