Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to worry about weight?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 24 Replies
If your child has weight gain issues, when did their doctors worry? B's doc doesn't comment on his weight but he's gained and lost the same 2 pounds for a year now. He's currently about 38 pounds and will be 6 in July. He fluctuates between 37 & 39 pounds (he started at 37 last March). I know that while he's small, he's also not as small as some kids. It just bothers me seeing his ribs and him not gaining weight.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I don't really know... Bump!
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM
D's doctor was worried when he was 2 and put him on Pediasure. Same with the baby, he's 2 and is going to have a bone scan this summer to see if he needs growth hormone. He is taking duocal and is starting to put on some weight.

Btw D turns 6 in June and weghs 50 pounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy4lyf
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM

MIne started to gain weight when he was given allergy medicines for his long list of allergies. He's appetite increases. Now, he's 11 yrs old, 5'4" and 155-160 lbs.

cheergurl84
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I just wish we could get him to gain weight. We've tried mixing his milk with instant breakfast but that didn't do any good. He eats like a bird. I'm sure it's probably GI related.
proudmomalexis
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM
go see a nutritionist. they can surely help. or go to the health food store.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM

We have kept an eye on ds's weight since 3 months old. Our pedi says as long as ds gains along his own curve he's ok. He is and will always be failure to thrive though. 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:52 AM
I finally got them to listen about my youngest's weight. He'll be 3 in a few weeks and weighs 33-34 lbs. as he has for a while. That doesn't sound bad, but he was born just shy of 10 lbs so he's not gaining like he should. They put him on reflux meds, allergy meds, and an inhaler for his breathing, as well as pediasure. He's still not gaining.
cheergurl84
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM
He doesn't even have a curve. He gains 2, loses one, loses another one, gains one, loses one gains two, etc.

Quoting mandee1503:

We have kept an eye on ds's weight since 3 months old. Our pedi says as long as ds gains along his own curve he's ok. He is and will always be failure to thrive though. 

cheergurl84
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM
The problem is his intake. He will eat absolutely anything but not much of it. I can also barely get him to drink his 16 ounces of juice mixed with miralax (doc prescribed and with juice). I've tried adding healthy fats but have issues getting him to eat enough to matter. Something else pointed out besides the GI stuff is he has weak muscles in his face so chewing tires him out.

Quoting proudmomalexis:

go see a nutritionist. they can surely help. or go to the health food store.
willysmama
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:26 AM

My son has his own curve. He is 8 years old and only 44lbs and 49.5 inches. He gains weight for a short time than loses it. His doctor isn't  worried unless he loses 4lbs or more. He has been getting feeding therapy for little over 2 weeks now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)