• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP- deaf/hard of hearing eval?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 14 Replies
Sorry to be such a board hog. Suddenly they've added a deaf/hard of hearing eval to our assessment. Any clue why they'd suddenly decide this if they haven't used them in the past? Also, what does this assessment consist of?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:13 AM
It could just be the age. Hearing tests are pretty standard if your child has a speech delay.
sammygrl77
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM
No apology needed.

I think that is required for all evaluations and is basically a hearing test. My ds has his done by the school nurse. They do it with the instrument that just gets put in his ears for a few seconds. Some do it the old fashioned way with the beeps and big headphones. It depends on the abilities of the child.
cheergurl84
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Well we got the info early this week about doing the eval and this assessment wasn't going to be done. It wasn't done before either. And actually, he's never passed a hearing test. I just wonder why they didn't plan to have it done when they first sent us the info but they want it now, days later.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Post away mama...we don't mind at all!  I don't have any experience with that though.  Hugs and good luck!

cheergurl84
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Our case manager emailed me back and said the additional testing is due to info I've given her in previous emails. She said she'd like to get as much information about B as possible so we can help him succeed in Kindergarten.
girl_incognito
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Both my children with IEP's have had hearing screenings, it's pretty standard

cheergurl84
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM
It isn't here. She's doing it because I mentioned his hearing issues in the past.

Quoting girl_incognito:

Both my children with IEP's have had hearing screenings, it's pretty standard

megandwade
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM

It's also seems to be pretty standard here. We had one at 15 months because my son has a speech delay.. and now again at 24 months we are to have another...

What they did: First they tried to put a small device into his ear to measure if there is any fluid in the ear but as you have to be very quite for this test and my son did not cooperate this was not completed successfully. Then they put us in a room and my son sat on my lap, they played sounds like a telephone ringing in the distance, music, birds chirping, etc.. and watch to see if their is appropriate reaction to the sounds.

Doesnt hurt to have it done..

cheergurl84
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM
So pretty much what he has done at the audiologist.

See at his school, kids are tested for hearing problems regardless of whether or not they have an IEP. So it's not standard on IEP testing unless there may be an issue.

In his case, there is an issue but I figured it would need to be more severe to even have it on his eval.

Quoting megandwade:

It's also seems to be pretty standard here. We had one at 15 months because my son has a speech delay.. and now again at 24 months we are to have another...

What they did: First they tried to put a small device into his ear to measure if there is any fluid in the ear but as you have to be very quite for this test and my son did not cooperate this was not completed successfully. Then they put us in a room and my son sat on my lap, they played sounds like a telephone ringing in the distance, music, birds chirping, etc.. and watch to see if their is appropriate reaction to the sounds.

megandwade
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Oh we had this test done at the Audiologist!

With my son's IEP, it isn't through the school it's through the early intervention program, and they had us actually take him the the Audiologist for this test.

If you're having it done at the school they will probably just use the device that plays sounds in your ear. Thats what they do at our head start.

Quoting cheergurl84:

So pretty much what he has done at the audiologist.

See at his school, kids are tested for hearing problems regardless of whether or not they have an IEP. So it's not standard on IEP testing unless there may be an issue.

In his case, there is an issue but I figured it would need to be more severe to even have it on his eval.

Quoting megandwade:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)