Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EI moms... Any advice? Update

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM
  • 13 Replies

2 weeks ago during our 3 month evaluations, the speech therapist and special instructor of our early intervention services suggested that I talk to the coordinator because they think DD might have PPD NOS and to ask for a child psychologist. Now mind you, I am still waiting for the same coordinator to send me an OT for her because this was supposed to happen months ago (originally I thought the DR was the one who did not send in the prescription but the company was just too lazy to do their jobs). So, I called the coordinator and told her what they say and what they put in the report and she told me that the company doesnt think there is anything wrong with her and the 3 services I have now should be enough. Now by now I am highly pissed because the way she said it was like the company knows more about my child than me, the ST and SI who all see my daughter frequently. I wasnt rude or anything and I asked her what would have to be done to see one and she said they would have to put in a report. Okay, so I talk to both the ST and the SI and they put the reports in and the coordinator still has not called me yet and I think its because they really feel like nothing is wrong with her even though they are not the ones that come here and the reports say otherwise.

I really want to change the EI company that they gave me but I do not want to lose the ST and SI that she has now because shes been doing really well with the ST even though she is just starting to warm up to the SI. And the SI is trying to get us an ABA specific teacher even though they still might deny her request. I have no idea what to do. Anyone ever go through this? Anyone have any advice for me on this?

UPDATE: I talked to the supervisor for the company that my service coordinator works for and she was fired 2 days ago. I never reported anything so I am assuming other people had just as much problems with her as I did. They gave me a new coordinator and we will be meeting within the next week. They said that once the Special instructor puts in the justifications they will give me the evaluation for her to see if she has PDD and they will try to get me a ABA trainer as well. So everything worked out in the end! Thanks for all the advice and just wanted to give you ladies an update!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM

i dont know what state or county you live in, but i will give you the advice i know that works where i live (NY - Nassau County)

therapists can enroll with multiple agencies

you can demand a new service coordinator

you as a parent can demand any evaluations you want and they have to provide you with them

as for the OT, use a different agency if they cant get you one that can fill your availability. (we used 3 different agencies for DSs therapies)

also contact your local school district and ask to be put into contact with someone from SEPTA.  also look for advocacy agencies.

briellesmomma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I live in nyc. The company the city gave me is all about kids and they have been so unprofessional.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

i dont know what state or county you live in, but i will give you the advice i know that works where i live (NY - Nassau County)

you as a parent can demand any evaluations you want and they have to provide you with them

as for the OT, use a different agency if they cant get you one that can fill your availability. (we used 3 different agencies for DSs therapies)

also contact your local school district and ask to be put into contact with someone from SEPTA.  also look for advocacy agencies.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM

i am going to PM you... my friend is in brooklyn and the same rules and regulations apply....  it will be eaiser to communicate via regular email if your ok with that...

Quoting briellesmomma:

I live in nyc. The company the city gave me is all about kids and they have been so unprofessional.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

briellesmomma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Absolutely!! Thank you!!

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

i am going to PM you... my friend is in brooklyn and the same rules and regulations apply....  it will be eaiser to communicate via regular email if your ok with that...

Quoting briellesmomma:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Things from my own experience can get really tough to get without the right diagnosis and especially with the ABA therapy. It is not your fault. You should start looking into a psychologist to diagnose her now since it takes time which can mean months. The reaon is that it takes a good number of hours to handle one evaluation for a diagnosis for a doctor. I recommend finding one recommended through your local Autism Society (http://www.autism-society.org/) or Autism Speaks (http://www.autismspeaks.org/) to find one who will diagnose her because not all doctors are familiar with the diagnosis.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

WELCOME , im joy glad you are here

keep pushing , and contacting them

briellesmomma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Thank you!

Quoting dawncs:

Things from my own experience can get really tough to get without the right diagnosis and especially with the ABA therapy. It is not your fault. You should start looking into a psychologist to diagnose her now since it takes time which can mean months. The reaon is that it takes a good number of hours to handle one evaluation for a diagnosis for a doctor. I recommend finding one recommended through your local Autism Society (http://www.autism-society.org/) or Autism Speaks (http://www.autismspeaks.org/) to find one who will diagnose her because not all doctors are familiar with the diagnosis.

briellesmomma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Thank you :) definitely will.

Quoting letstalk747:

WELCOME , im joy glad you are here

keep pushing , and contacting them

binz322
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

You can change your Coordinator at any time and may not have to lose your therapists. Check with EI rep :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Welcome!  I would recommend having your child evaluated by a developmental pediatrician...you will be more likely to get a proper diagnosis that way.  You don't have to count on the county/state for that either.  Do you have health insurance?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)