Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyones kiddo take Dexmethylphenidate (generic Focaline) for ADHD?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son Vince who will be 6 in a few weeks was just diagnosed on April 28th with ADHD and this is what his doctor prescriped (since at this time Vince will not swallow pills this med can be broken open and sprinkled on applesauce)

Vince has not started this med since we had a bunch of mix up with the insurance and his doctor, then we have to wait for it to be delivered to the pharmacy  :( It should be here Monday and he will start taking it Tuesday.

When your kiddo starts a new med do you keep them home from school to make sure there is no reaction?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singlemotherof8
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My granddaughter has been on 2 or 3 different meds for her ADHD but not the one your son is taking. She takes Concerta and Keppra for seizures. She doesn't like the liquid form so we have to get the pills. She would fight us when it came to any kind of liquid meds from a very early age.

dolphin_gurl85
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Aww :-( how old is she now? My son never liked to take meds either. He had to take meds for a bad ear infection and it litterly took hr for the first few days of argueing with him to take it then by the end it took him only half hr. I'm so worried about this med since we have to break it open it losses efectivness and I know he will take forever to take it :-( doctor did mention that there is a patch but is longer lasting and he wakes latter and only goes to k half days so we were holding off on trying that one

Quoting singlemotherof8:

My granddaughter has been on 2 or 3 different meds for her ADHD but not the one your son is taking. She takes Concerta and Keppra for seizures. She doesn't like the liquid form so we have to get the pills. She would fight us when it came to any kind of liquid meds from a very early age.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

When my kids start new medications I do tend to keep them home to see how they are doing with it.  Good luck!

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

i just start the meds on a weekend so i have 2 days to see how it goes

boppysmom2007
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 5 and is on foclin the generic and no I send him to school the teacher watches him closely
dolphin_gurl85
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
That's what I wanted to do, but now its not going to be ready till Monday afternoon and he is struggling bad at school and getting his class mates in trouble too :-( I also was thinking about just keeping him home the day he starts (Tuesday)

Quoting letstalk747:

i just start the meds on a weekend so i have 2 days to see how it goes

dolphin_gurl85
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM
How is he doing on it? Does he have any other issues? Vince scored high for the ODD but doctor wants to see if it has to do with the adhd. He has a bit of anxity too and doctor said the meds could make it worse

Quoting boppysmom2007:

My son is 5 and is on foclin the generic and no I send him to school the teacher watches him closely

singlemotherof8
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

My granddaughter is 8 and a handful at times. She is worse then all 8 of my kids put together.

By singlemotherof8

lazyd
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM

We usually started on a sat morning so have the whole weekend, no need to keep kid home from school.  If you've gone this long w/o meds, you can wait until the weekend.

lashea727
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM
I have a son is he 8 year old. He was on meds since he was 6 year old. Some days he will not eat dinner but sleep, he cry all the time. School is not good for him cause he fail the 1St grade 1 once and now IM so scared that he is going to fail again. So IM trying to talk to him but he don't express his feelings. He take it out on anger in school, home but he is kind of doing much better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)