Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

G tube mommies help! *update*

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM
  • 12 Replies
Okay this has never happened before! Elena's button fell out! Like the entire inflated balloon! We put on the spare we had (lots of blood and screaming) but now we can't pull anything out of the line! So now we're heading to the er. Our doctors office isn't equipped for this ugh! Has this happened to anyone else? Scared for my baby :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleywheeler13
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:41 AM
It hasn't happen to us yet. Knock on wood. . But if you can't pull any stomach content out it means the tube didn't go into the the stomach it went in the space in btwn. It does happen :( I hope she's is ok. Please keep us up dated.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Yes, this.  Hugs mama!  Let us know how things go!

Quoting ashleywheeler13:

It hasn't happen to us yet. Knock on wood. . But if you can't pull any stomach content out it means the tube didn't go into the the stomach it went in the space in btwn. It does happen :( I hope she's is ok. Please keep us up dated.

Nursedanna
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I have been working with G-tubes for years as a home health nurse for special needs children. Hope everything is ok now! What was the outcome? I have moms all the time who feel so bad when the GB gets pulled out. Sounds like your child has a MIC-KEY. When this happened, had it been awhile since your child had received a feeding? Wondering if there wasn't any gastric contents to aspirate. One last question, did you flush the GB prior to inserting it? You always want to do this prior to inserting a new GB to make sure there isn't a defect with the GB. Hope this helps, please feel free to contact me anytime. I am glad to help!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Scary! Hope they are able to fix it! I worry about ds's tube all the time because our er is an hour away!
Mipsy
by Chelle on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Oh no!! I hope they got it fixed!
Manda0606
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM
It does sound like the gtube could not be in the stomach or a problem with the balloon. If your er and drs dont have the right equipment you could at home if you have extra sets gput all you need at put into a diaper bag so then if you have to go anywhere you can just gra the bag and go and plus it makes you feel better having your own things and your familiar with it. Before you put the gtube back in fill it back with water and look it over and u will c if there is any problems, problems or not we always test it anyways. Makes you feel better, and less taking in and out for your child. On the gtube we bought ky-jelly ( which dr told us to do) and we put all over ballon and put it in adnthere is very little blodd and irritation and doesnt hurt so bad. I hope this helped and good luck at the er and that its just somethign simple and I forgot that sometimes it may mean that you need to add more water than what you have been using to keep it in, I would ask your dr about first because you start doing that when they are growing and there stomachs are getting bigger
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I haven't had that happen yet... I hope everything's ok!!
letstalk747
by Joy on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

never happened when my son had one

MauiStylinMommy
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you ladies! So we were flown out from our er to a childrens hospital that was better equipped for her. She immediately went to surgery because the tube was misplaced and in the cavity wall. Major concern for infection. So we came out of surgery at 330 in the morning and they fixed the tube placement cleaned out her insides and infection is minimal. She's on morphine and Tylenol and anti biotics. Please pray for a fast heal! I'm exhausted!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywheeler13
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Awe!!! Poor baby :( speedy recovery!

Quoting MauiStylinMommy:

Thank you ladies! So we were flown out from our er to a childrens hospital that was better equipped for her. She immediately went to surgery because the tube was misplaced and in the cavity wall. Major concern for infection. So we came out of surgery at 330 in the morning and they fixed the tube placement cleaned out her insides and infection is minimal. She's on morphine and Tylenol and anti biotics. Please pray for a fast heal! I'm exhausted!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)