Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADD but no meds?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM
  • 4 Replies

Lindsay's pain level has been consistently down to a 2 or 3 so I figured it would be a good time to ask about other things she struggles with.  I feel like every time she goes to the doctor I'm bringing up something else.  She's already given us a referral for a dermatologist, she's considering one for an ENT doctor and now I had to bring up something else.  She probably thinks I'm a nut. LOL

Anyway, Lindsay lives in her own world probably 80% of the time, if not more. She just isn't always here, if that makes any sense. It's been ongoing for a long time.  She plays with other kids, but as often as not, she's on her own doing her own thing - oblivious to the world around her.  I thought it might be a coping mechanism for her pain to just check out.  But she's still doing it just as often even though her pain level has decreased from a constant 9 or 10 to a 2 or 3.  Her doctor wants her to be evaluated for learning delays and suggested that she may have ADD as well.  She said that even though she is not hyper or disruptive that the inability to focus on something very long can be an indicator.  She said kids like this often fall through the cracks because they are not disruptive, and are often considered daydreamers.

Okay, that may be the case.  I'm not convinced that she needs to be medicated though. Am I wrong not to medicate? She gets through her work when she's feeling well enough.  I don't know how much the checking out is really affecting her.  I don't know...what would you do?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I would wait and see how her evaluation goes...will she see a developmental pediatrician or someone similar?  I would definitely be hesitant to put her on more medication...I agree with you there:)  Hugs mama!

scarlita88
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

i have a child that wasnt able to pay attention for any length of time and played with other children somewhat but was off by himself as well. he has a double diagnoses of adhd and on the spectrum of autism. if i were to say anything about your daughter it would be to watch carefully for other indicators of this. i do not medicate l.b.j. at this time and he is a happy little guy. but i really did a lot of a.b.a. with him.and i am constant in my observations of and with him so as to keep him from getting frustrated enough to need to act out to let his wants and needs known. it's not to say that he doesnt meltdown or have difficulties, he does but i try really hard to give him other ways to express himself. in school is a whole nother story... he is rarely disruptive and stares off into space. i am fighting now to get him an i.e.p. so he does not fall thriugh the cracks.p.s. it sounds like lindsay is very bright and a wonderful daughter!  arent we lucky?! good luck!!

sammygrl77
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM
I don't think it's wrong to not want to medicate. That is a really tough decision to make. For me personally, before any treatment I weigh the pros and cons. The thing I consider the most is quality of life without the suggested treatment as compared to without. Are there other things that might increase quality without the side effects. ((Hugs))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Yes we are very lucky! :) Lindsay doesn't have meltdowns she just "checks out" for a lack of a better word. She has no trouble being social, she just isn't always here.
Quoting scarlita88:

i have a child that wasnt able to pay attention for any length of time and played with other children somewhat but was off by himself as well. he has a double diagnoses of adhd and on the spectrum of autism. if i were to say anything about your daughter it would be to watch carefully for other indicators of this. i do not medicate l.b.j. at this time and he is a happy little guy. but i really did a lot of a.b.a. with him.and i am constant in my observations of and with him so as to keep him from getting frustrated enough to need to act out to let his wants and needs known. it's not to say that he doesnt meltdown or have difficulties, he does but i try really hard to give him other ways to express himself. in school is a whole nother story... he is rarely disruptive and stares off into space. i am fighting now to get him an i.e.p. so he does not fall thriugh the cracks.p.s. it sounds like lindsay is very bright and a wonderful daughter!  arent we lucky?! good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)