• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working from home or other earning income done mostly at home...

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 11 Replies

I saw a post about this in another group and I just wondered how many Moms with special needs kids are doing this.  I am curious about circumstances or legistics of doing this.  I only have one special needs kid and my other kid is more or less normal.  Since one of my kids is not in school yet, working outside is not an option. Anyway, because our finances are pretty tight all the time, it would be great if I could find a way to do it.   So, I am just looking for some fresh perspective.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

i have no idea

lifeisajoy
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM
bump but I work part time for our finances were tight too-
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I babysit an infant a few hours a week (7 1/2 maybe). It's not much but it brings in a little bit. I find other ways to save money.  We drive one vehicle, which can be interesting at times, but it saves on gas, insurance and maintainence costs. We use pre-paid phones. Until recently we didn't have cable. We rarely eat out, and then it's typically Subway. I buy in bulk whenever I can.  I bake my own bread and make my own laundry soap. When it's nice out I line dry my laundry to save electricity. I trade my time for tuition at my daughter's dance studio and that typically saves me $70 or so a month.  I often shop at second hand stores for clothes.  It's little things, but it adds up.  We've been a single income family since March 2003.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

We are a one family income.  I tried working last summer but it was just too much for me, so I quit after a few months.  Hugs mama!

Kalic0
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Due to my husband being a supervisor at his job, he does not always work the same shift, or have the same "days off" every week so we really need to have a second vehicle even if it is not driven every day. We are looking to buy a home and hopefully when we do I can start hanging out my clothes on warmer and drier days (although, we live in snow country so that time of year starts in April or May and ends in November). I am curious about your recipe for washing soap. I looked into this but the only recipe I could find contained Ammonia which irritates my husbands skin if it does not get throughly rinsed out during the rinse cycle. Our biggest expenses besides rent, are utilities, phone, internet, and gas for our cars. Unfortunately, though my husband's work does not defer the cost of his cell phone or service, he cannot do his job without access to a data phone, so there is no way to reduce that cost. And since dialup internet is no longer available, we actually have the about the cheapest internet you can get. We actually compared providers and in our area the lowest cost plans are all round the same cost. The only other service we pay for is Netflix which in the compromise I agreed to talk my husband out of cable TV (on top of internet) since it is at least $20 a month cheaper. I was brought up a very thrifty parents and have worked hard to teach my husband the value of thrift was well!
Quoting Pukalani79:

I babysit an infant a few hours a week (7 1/2 maybe). It's not much but it brings in a little bit. I find other ways to save money.  We drive one vehicle, which can be interesting at times, but it saves on gas, insurance and maintainence costs. We use pre-paid phones. Until recently we didn't have cable. We rarely eat out, and then it's typically Subway. I buy in bulk whenever I can.  I bake my own bread and make my own laundry soap. When it's nice out I line dry my laundry to save electricity. I trade my time for tuition at my daughter's dance studio and that typically saves me $70 or so a month.  I often shop at second hand stores for clothes.  It's little things, but it adds up.  We've been a single income family since March 2003.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

This is the recipe I use:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Quoting Kalic0:

Due to my husband being a supervisor at his job, he does not always work the same shift, or have the same "days off" every week so we really need to have a second vehicle even if it is not driven every day. We are looking to buy a home and hopefully when we do I can start hanging out my clothes on warmer and drier days (although, we live in snow country so that time of year starts in April or May and ends in November). I am curious about your recipe for washing soap. I looked into this but the only recipe I could find contained Ammonia which irritates my husbands skin if it does not get throughly rinsed out during the rinse cycle. Our biggest expenses besides rent, are utilities, phone, internet, and gas for our cars. Unfortunately, though my husband's work does not defer the cost of his cell phone or service, he cannot do his job without access to a data phone, so there is no way to reduce that cost. And since dialup internet is no longer available, we actually have the about the cheapest internet you can get. We actually compared providers and in our area the lowest cost plans are all round the same cost. The only other service we pay for is Netflix which in the compromise I agreed to talk my husband out of cable TV (on top of internet) since it is at least $20 a month cheaper. I was brought up a very thrifty parents and have worked hard to teach my husband the value of thrift was well!
Quoting Pukalani79:

Kalic0
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I will take a look at this.

Thanks,

Deb

Quoting Pukalani79:

This is the recipe I use:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

natesmom1228
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I work outside my home so I really don't have any experience. Here is a bump for more responses.

Decemberlov
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I do not work out of my home but still wanted to chime in with some things that may help with saving money.

We use the same laundry detergent recipe posted above and it works great!

Also I just recently started using emeals and it have saved me lots of money (and time) on groceries. www.emeals.com - I found a groupon offer for 50% off so if you are intrested google for a groupon offer and see if one is available.

I do also have a friend that works from home for Take Shape for Life. I have done a lot of research into this company and truely believe that the right person has the potential to do very well in this business.

sammygrl77
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I coupon to save on everything. I haven't paid for beauty products and most toiletries in over a year. That alone cut out a huge chunk of our costs. I make laundry soap, use vinegar for most cleaning, and save an average of 55% on my grocery bill by couponing and shopping sales at the local produce market.

I know tgat All You magazine had an article on legit work at home jobs. You can probably find it on their website.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)