• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have experience with bipolar/extreme mood dysregulation?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 29 Replies

Hi Everonye.  I asked this in another group but didn't get many replies.  I thought I'd try my luck here.  My four year old has severe mood swings but in general his temperment is cranky and irritable. When he is in a good mood and pleasant, we tend to notice it as being atypical for him, especially if it lasts for a whole day. He can be aggressive and impulsive. We are in the midst of seeing several types of doctors but does anyone have a child with severe mood dysregulation? Was the initial diagnosis bipolar? I feel my son may be in the middle of the two. Did you use meds or just do behavioral therapy? Any advice is appreciated

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I don't have any experience with this mama...hugs!  Welcome to the group:)

PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I don't have any experience with this but how does he sleep at night?  Is it possible that he has a sleep disorder (sleep apnea for instance) that is keeping him from getting a good night's sleep?

AMDS0304
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I have twins with odd and here are the symptoms we are in therapy. My son rarely has good days i think he may have something else going on. my daughter is getting better.

Your child may be displaying signs of ODD instead of normal moodiness if the behaviors:

• Are persistent
  • Have lasted at least six months
  • Are clearly disruptive to the family and home or school environment

The following are behaviors associated with ODD:

• Negativity
  • Defiance
  • Disobedience
  • Hostility directed toward authority figures

These behaviors might cause your child to regularly and consistently:

• Have temper tantrums
  • Be argumentative with adults
  • Refuse to comply with adult requests or rules
  • Annoy other people deliberately
  • Blames others for mistakes or misbehavior
  • Acts touchy and is easily annoyed
  • Feel anger and resentment
  • Be spiteful or vindictive
  • Act aggressively toward peers
  • Have difficulty maintaining friendships
  • Have academic problems
  • Feel a lack of self-esteem

In addition, your child isn't likely to see his or her behavior as defiant. Instead, your child will probably believe that unreasonable demands are being placed on him or her.

BehindHazelEyes
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Yes, my son does and after a full psychological test and being baker acted twice they diagnosed him with severe mood disorder. He is now on a mood stabilizer and anti depressant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lazyd
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM

my son has adhd/odd/severe anxiety.  He is on meds and in therapy once a week.  He has a chart at school that "tracks" his behaviour and he tells his teacher at what level he is at.  Like 5 is i need to leave the class to 1 is he is ok and can participate in the class.  He also has an iep at school that states he can leave the class and go talk to the school's psysch or go to the office where there is an adult to calm down.  My son can become extremely violent at the drop of a hat and is very disobedient.  ODD is "constant" while bipolar disorder is highs n lows in mood swings, so if your son is happy for months on end than suddenly depressed for months that's bipolar.    

lifeisajoy
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

rule out any physical medical conditions and they look at those-he is young they may try therapy first and add meds and therapy but yes a behavior therapy (something within the home, community, school env) would be best for him-

wish you the best

gummibr
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Thank you for your responses.  For those with some experience, do you find the mania in a young child is at the same level as an adult?  For my son, I'm thinking his mania is simply when he is most pleasant and happy as opposed to being irritable all the time.  We do not see signs of grandeur.  Also, he does have trouble falling asleep and we had a full blood panel done to rule out any possible metabolic issues.

zoo003
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

My ds is bipolar, on the autistic spectrum, and has an anxiety disorder.  When he wasn't on medication or his medications weren't correct and he would be in a manic cycle, he would have auditory/visual hallucinations. He would have exaggerated and loud speech patterns and behaviors.  He would literally be bouncing off the walls, laughing at inappropriate tmes (hard to explain, but for example, one time he was looking at a piece of bread and just burst out laughing like he was told the funniest jokes ever).  He would bounce from one thing to another and he definitely had times when he would show thoughts of grandeur. After this, he would go into a depressive cycle where he would actively try to kill himself.  He is an ultra-rapid cycler (and at times an ultra ultra rapid cycler).  At 5, we were having to make the heart wrenching decision as to whether we should or shouldn't hospitalize him for the first time.   

Edit-this is only a very brief synopsis of the issues that we have had over the years.  It would be far too much to put into a response, but if you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.  We have dealt with this for years and years and years. 

Quoting gummibr:

Thank you for your responses.  For those with some experience, do you find the mania in a young child is at the same level as an adult?  For my son, I'm thinking his mania is simply when he is most pleasant and happy as opposed to being irritable all the time.  We do not see signs of grandeur.  Also, he does have trouble falling asleep and we had a full blood panel done to rule out any possible metabolic issues.

cece4
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM
My son was diagnosed with bipolar at age 6 it hard to diagnose in a child but your going to need a combo of meds and behavioral therapies he is 9 mow and its still a challenge.
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

My daughter has not been officially diagnosed but is being treated as bipolar.  Her moods can change at the drop of a hat.  It's exhausting.  She was in counseling and behavior therapy.  It was really good for both of us actually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)