Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What do you say?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 17 Replies
When you are out in public like at the park or shopping and people stop and stare at your SN child or they ask what is wrong with your child, what do you say to them? Especially kids. The reason I ask is because now that it is getting warmer we have been going to the park more and kids see John with his walker (or how he walks without his walker) and automatically ask what's wrong with his legs. Or why does he have to use a walker (or why does he walk that way)? I usually just tell the kids that his legs don't work the same as ours or that is just how God has made him. I try to be patient with kids and I know they mean well but there are days were I feel like I am constantly repeating myself. We try to treat John as normal as possible and we try not to point out his disability so that he himself feels normal. I don't want him to feel different from other kids. And I don't want him to feel ashamed for being different.

Dreama Proud wife to Jerry

Proud mommy to

Jerry William, Brhianna Angelina, Johanathan Patrick and Glenn Cleveland

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

When we 1 st started preschool. The kids notice he won't talk not even a hi. I just say he still learning. Cause he can say a few words.  Then I tell the parents he has autism. Or kids ask why he in wheelchair. I just say his legs don't work. 

lifeisajoy
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM
We get asked-why does he crawl when he has a mustache-and pretty much answer how you answer and also want him to see his abilities a lot more than disabilities-
RobinChristine
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell kids that when Thor was a baby his brain broke. I dodn't know how to explain strokes to  kids.

mammakittykat
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

There was one day we were at the park and several kids asked me what was wrong with his legs and I just said I don't know what you mean, What's wrong with your legs? Was it mean of me to say that? Probably, but it got my point across that we treat him like any other kid and the kids stopped asking what was wrong with him and started playing with him like any other kid. I just thought it was kinda funny to see their reactions when I said that.

mlogsdon
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM
When Nathaniel still had his trach, I was pretty matter of fact about it. He had a hard time breathing, and the tube they see in his neck is how he breathes.

Now that its out, we don't get asked as often. When we do, I just say there's nothing wrong with him. He does things his own way :) He doesn't talk, walk, eat, etc. because he's still learning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM
I just answer in the simplest way possible and follow up with some positives or conversation starters. I really don't mind the questions. I like to raise awareness. I have a lot more patience for kids because they don't know about differences and filters.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama!  It's hard and I get questions as well...I just try to explain in simple ways so they can understand.  Kids don't really bother me...parents bother me!

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here. D has developed a terrible stutter this year and you'd think adults would know better than stare or obviously listen to him.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  It's hard and I get questions as well...I just try to explain in simple ways so they can understand.  Kids don't really bother me...parents bother me!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammakittykat
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Yeah for the most part I am patient and use it as a learning expierence for children. I think the other day I was in a bad mood. As for the parents they are the ones that annoy me the most when they give him these pittying looks or they make comments about why I am not with him every second on the playground. I let him be a kid when we go to the park and let him play with the other kids and for the most part he can navigate the playground just fine. I still watch him and am there to catch him on the ladders and such. It just gets to me somedays I guess.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM

No one has ever really asked me. But I would just be up front. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)