Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Wish me luck!

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM
  • 26 Replies
Tomorrow I'm meeting with Elijah's IEP team, (including the principal who's threatening to suspend him if he has another meltdown at school). I've printed up some well-researched articles about the negative effects of suspension and punitive discipline on disabled students.

We will be insisting on an FBA and BIP (functional behavior assessment and behavior intervention plan).

I'm getting a letter from his psychiatrist in the morning about how his meltdowns are a direct manifestation of his disability.

I'm not sure what else to do to get us through this...

My heart is hurting right now, but at least he hasn't had any seizures, so this is stemming from his anxiety and not something deeper going on. *knock on wood*

I'll updat after our meeting- it's at 4:00 PST
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkmomma06
by Angie on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I didnt think they were allowed to suspense a special needs child..Good luck!

Pukalani79
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

How can they suspend him for that? That's not right!  I'm so sorry you both are having to go through this.  I hope that the meeting tomorrowis productive.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I spoke to the ombudsman on Friday, and they can technically suspend him for up to ten days for breaking the school's code of conduct. After 10 days a bunch of safeguards from IDEA kick in due to his disability, but before that the principal can treat him just like a non-disabled student. It's infuriating!

Quoting arkmomma06:

I didnt think they were allowed to suspense a special needs child..Good luck!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM
I know. I'm so upset. The principal was there and reassuring me that they can handle this, and that's what they're hear for etc.... Then the next day he makes the teacher tell me that Elijah will be suspended if it happens again! Wtf?! :(

Quoting Pukalani79:

How can they suspend him for that? That's not right!  I'm so sorry you both are having to go through this.  I hope that the meeting tomorrowis productive.

Pukalani79
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Is there any kind of advocate either through the doctors or therapists who can help? That made me so angry just reading about it.  ((HUGS))

Quoting Elyssa414:

I know. I'm so upset. The principal was there and reassuring me that they can handle this, and that's what they're hear for etc.... Then the next day he makes the teacher tell me that Elijah will be suspended if it happens again! Wtf?! :(

Quoting Pukalani79:

arkmomma06
by Angie on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Oh...

I will be thinking of you tomorrow!

Mipsy
by Chelle on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:27 AM
*hug hug hug hug* will be thinking of you tomorrow!!!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Hugs mama!  Keep us posted!

dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Good luck at your meeting! It is against the law to punish him for his disability (http://www.wrightslaw.com/). You did an excellent job in documenting it with his psychiatrist in advance for planning for this meeting. You have to realize not all people are knowledgeable about disabilities and special education. It is more than likely that the principal was a mainstream teacher before he became a principal, and he did not receive that much training in Special Education.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

willysmama
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)