Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Dyslexia and playing piano?? HELP!

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter has been playing the piano for quite some time. She is not making any progress above the easy piano music. She gets easily confused as the sheet music or lessons become busier with 8th notes, half notes, then going back and forth between different octaves. I think if she worked at it more than getting so anxiety-stricken she could work through it. This morning over breakfast, I asked her what her thoughts were about taking lessons again next year and she woefully shook her head no. I think she was more afraid of disappointing me than anyone. But I told her to do her best and finish out the year and then if she wanted to stop that was fine with me. Does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts or experience in this area?

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

No experience but good luck!

sammygrl77
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM
When my dd played an instument, it helped to divide up the music into smaller pieces that she would learn one at a time and eventually put all together. She has s visual tracking disorder, so it would get all jumbled up for her when she attempted larger pieces. It made a huge difference in her confidence.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:26 AM

No idea mama!  Good luck!

Hottubgodess
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Find a tutor who specializes in kids with dyslexia/dyscalcula/dysgraphia.  Ask a local school band director or choir director.  :)  Small successes can make for big strides.  With the tutor your kiddo can feel successful and may be able to help your kiddo learn a few tricks. 

Pukalani79
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:42 PM

If you have the time.. there is a program called Crescendo Music Notation Editor.  If I remember right, it's free and you can type your own music.  Take some of her pieces and re-type them, making the notes more spread out, larger and the page not so busy. It can be time consuming, but it might help her.

As someone else suggested, you can take just sections of the music and have her work on those.  Emily doesn't have dyslexia, but her piano teacher has her work on a line at a time.  As she gets more confident, then she adds just a little bit more.

KarenNEIA
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Thank you all for some good suggestions! We'll keep "plunking" away and see what happens. I think I'll download that software program later this morning and see how it works. I see it got excellet reviews.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN