Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

New to the group!

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hi, i'm new to the group. :) I have 3 boys, ages 11, almost 7, and almost 4. My 6 year old has been dx'd with ADHD and takes focalin xr daily. I think there is more going on with him, but no one will listen, not even his pediatrician. He does great at school, he's in the top %50 of his class (which is a huge change from last year, last year was terrible and this is actually his 2nd year of kindergarten). At home though he has terrible melt downs, he throws things, kicks things, tears things up, cries and screams uncontrollably, it's awful. It's over the most simple of things as well, like telling him to pick up his room, or it's time to go to bed, or stop being mean to his brother.

He is almost like a toddler when it comes to behavior sometimes. He won't stay out of things that aren his, throws the tantrums like a toddler, doesn't listen to us at all, etc etc. My hubby and I are at our wits end. We haven't found a discipline method that works. It's frustrating and I'd love some help.

Also, our 11 year old is currently on a 1 month trial of focalin. He's been getting in lots of trouble at school, can't seem to control his urges etc. The counselor thinks he may have an impulse control disorder. He just started the focalin xr this past Saturday.

Any ideas/suggestions would bw helpful. Sorry my first post is so long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sammygrl77
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Welcome to the group!

I don't have much experience with this, but I know there are mommas that do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Chrissy0918
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Thank you! I'm hoping to find someone with some advice. I feel like a terrible mom sometimes because I do sometimes get so angry that I don't want to even be around him. I know that's a terrible thing to say, but when you have tried everything and don't know what else to do it's so frustrating. I love him (all 3 of my babies) with all my heart though!

Quoting sammygrl77:

Welcome to the group!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chrissy0918
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Here is a picture of all my babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! Have you thought of going to see a developmental pediatrician? They should be able to help you to determine if there is something more wrong with your son. When you have the appointment, I recommend bringing records of when he reached all developmental stages to help him. In the meantime, I recommend requesting in writing an evaluation for Special Education services (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) to his school outlining his problems.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

sammygrl77
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM
(((Hugs))) I understand. I feel that way at times with my youngest. She pushes my buttons, that's for sure.

Your boys are adorable!

Quoting Chrissy0918:

Thank you! I'm hoping to find someone with some advice. I feel like a terrible mom sometimes because I do sometimes get so angry that I don't want to even be around him. I know that's a terrible thing to say, but when you have tried everything and don't know what else to do it's so frustrating. I love him (all 3 of my babies) with all my heart though!

Quoting sammygrl77:

Welcome to the group!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Welcome to the group!
RobinChristine
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Welcome,I am Robin.Next time a melt down happens video record, send to MD or make app and watch with the MD

mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Welcome to the group!

Pukalani79
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Welcome to the group! My daughter struggles with anxiety and a mood disorder.  Before we were able to get her some help, a lot of what you describe is what she was going through.  Keep fighting for your child. You will always be his best advocate. Ask for a referral to a pediactric or family therapist and see what they think.  They'll be able to help him find healthy ways of coping with whatever is going on, as well as ways for you to keep your sanity.  ((HUGS)) Good luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Welcome to the group!  Glad you are here:)  

To be honest, I would suggest getting a second opinion if your current Pediatrician isn't helping.  Seeing a developmental pediatrician might be a good idea as well.  They know more about behaviors and such in children and how to help them.

Hugs mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)