Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, i'm new to the group. :) I have 3 boys, ages 11, almost 7, and almost 4. My 6 year old has been dx'd with ADHD and takes focalin xr daily. I think there is more going on with him, but no one will listen, not even his pediatrician. He does great at school, he's in the top %50 of his class (which is a huge change from last year, last year was terrible and this is actually his 2nd year of kindergarten). At home though he has terrible melt downs, he throws things, kicks things, tears things up, cries and screams uncontrollably, it's awful. It's over the most simple of things as well, like telling him to pick up his room, or it's time to go to bed, or stop being mean to his brother.

He is almost like a toddler when it comes to behavior sometimes. He won't stay out of things that aren his, throws the tantrums like a toddler, doesn't listen to us at all, etc etc. My hubby and I are at our wits end. We haven't found a discipline method that works. It's frustrating and I'd love some help.

Also, our 11 year old is currently on a 1 month trial of focalin. He's been getting in lots of trouble at school, can't seem to control his urges etc. The counselor thinks he may have an impulse control disorder. He just started the focalin xr this past Saturday.

Any ideas/suggestions would bw helpful. Sorry my first post is so long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Replies (11-11):
Chrissy0918
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Thanks ladies. I'm definitely going to look into a developmental pediatrician. His pediatrician doesn't want to up his meds because a side effect is insomnia and he already has a sleep disorder. I understand that, but I wish he would look into something else!

We've had a meeting with the special Ed teacher at school, along with his teacher, the counselor, and the principle. They said they won't do anything because they aren't seeing any of these behaviors at school. Its so frustrating!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)