Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training help despertly needed.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

So AJ decided today that he likes peeing on the potty.  I have no clue how to help him potty train.  AJ has cerebral palsy, seizures, and is developmentally delays about a year.  AJ is 33 months old and developmentally around 22-24 months.  Gross motor he tests around 20 months. He can undress himself with minimal help (mostly verbal coaching), but can not redress himself.  He can not pull underwear/pull ups on at all.  He needs some assistance to get onto the potty without falling and even then, since the potty has no rails/sides, he tends to lean to the one side.  I would like to teach him potty signs but have no clue which system to use.  Anyone got any experience?  Also anyone know of a toddler sized potty with arm rests to help him stay upright?  Thanks.

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:39 AM
You might be able to find something on especialneeds.com. Good luck!
Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM

*hugs* I have no real help. Tyler just learned how to and gained the strength to put his clothes on and take them off and is he almost 5. You may just have to help him for awhile, but if you can get him going on teh potty, that is always great! I am so ready to dicth diapers! 

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Have you called different pharmacys ? We got our son a potty that has arm rest. He is tall for almost being 5. So he has to have step under him. He will sit on it but he won't go. 

Bawyada
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

There are all kinds of supplies on line, unfortunately they are very expensive.  If you can't affor it, it can at least give you some ideas to try to copy, maybe copy a design for handles with PVC pipe?? Good luck.  You are lucky he likes to go potty. 

SAMI_JO
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Try turning him around backwards so that he can hold on to the seat. This works for some. 

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM

patience , he may need to get older , never give up stay consistant , my son still has #2 issues at 13

heathermom77
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Just give him time and be patient with him :). DS is 10 and still wets the bed and has accidents during the day, still poops in his pants sometimes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DeeptiCA
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I just came across this product on amazon.com. It is expensive but looks like it might help.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Potty-Stool-Toddler-Training/dp/B000MZKTU4/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1365089120&sr=8-25

Good luck! 

DeeptiCA
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Adding a few more products that are not very expensive

http://www.amazon.com/Juvenile-Solutions-Kiddyloo-Toilet-Reducer/dp/B000V3J7J6/ref=pd_sbs_ba_4

http://www.amazon.com/3-in-1-Toilet-Trainer-Potty-Seat/dp/B0050MD1PY/ref=pd_sbs_ba_2

http://www.amazon.com/Karibu-Cushion-Step-Potty-RED/dp/B00749VP3Q/ref=pd_sbs_ba_3

DeeptiCA
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with all the moms here that it needs lots of patience. My DS used to be highly constipated all the time so he would have this expression of straining himself on his face right before he had to go, so I would keep an eye on him. That's the only way it worked cause if I made him sit based on a timer he made sure that he didn't go. It sounds funny now but it wasn't back then. Also I just go him a taller stepping stool so that his feet were firmly placed and it also helps put pressure on your tummy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)