Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

melatonin

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 12 Replies

does your kid take melatonin to help him sleep ?

how did it/does it work

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carreon
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yes and it is the only reason anyone in the house gets sleep. We get ours from wholefoods  Source Naturals, it is chewable. We do not do every night because it stops working but every 2 or three days we start with 1/2 and sometimes do a whole. My son has Autism and is 3 1/2 38 lbs. He will still wake up in the middle of the night and change beds but he will at least go to sleep. My other kids do not have any sleep issues so he is the only one that takes it. A Homeopath doctor recommended it and it has been great! 

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yes my son in the past was taking melatonin for a few weeks off and on. If he went to sleep on his own that was great. Some times he did not want to sleep. Or awake at 3 am and up for the day. No meds for a few weeks cause he going to sleep on his own between 9-10 and sleeping most night ll night. A few times he will wake me up. But I tell him ime to sleep. My son I'll be 5 and has autism

OFIH
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Yes. It's the only reason he goes to sleep before 2am. It works well, but we have to change up how he gets it and the dose amount or it stops working for him. He takes a combination of instant release and slow release. We do one dose one week, a different dose the next, back to the first dose, then back to the second.

OFIH - Lover of God, wife to awesome, mommy to two incredibles, controller of chaos.

My blog - From Traffic To Tractors

graycalico
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I tried it. My ds still woke up just as much but he was groggy and out of it. I wish it had helped us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

no, my son takes clonodine.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM
We haven't used it with my son, but my DH occasionally uses it and swears by it.
willysmama
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Willy did take it. But it still didn't give him the sleep or rest he needed.his trazodone works better for him

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We gave it to Katy, to try and help. It made her sleep walking/talking episodes worst!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Brady takes it every now and then...not on a regular basis though.  After a few weeks of giving it to him at night, it started to have a different effect...almost opposite!  

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM
We just put Elijah back on it because f his meltdowns at night, and it works great!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)