Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he's making me rip my hair out i need help!!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 12 Replies
I love my oldest very much but he is driving me up a wall. Mel is mt step son lives with us full time I have been his mommy for 6 years and nothing has changed besides him. He has down syndrome and will be 9 in July. I shouldn't say this but the boy is a straight ass. Used to be so sweet and loving but now all day every day he calls everyone rude names yells sticks his tongue out makes what he thinks are rude hand gestures stomps his feet doesn't listen worth a damn. I'm so beyond done living with him he's only like this when his dad is home even though his dad gives him tons of attention and affection. I have no idea what to do but I can't deal with this much longer. At this moment I have to sit next to him in bed so he will stop making rude noises or saying uh uh.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeisajoy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Be firm but caring-I do with my son--for ex. my son pounds on wall-I say I am walking out of room and when you are ready to act like young man then I will come back in-

Also I have him show me his manners and listening ears and repeat and repeat it and have him interpret what that means to him

sorry if this don't make sense-it is late

I have more ideas but right now my brain is tired from the day

hugs mama!!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I'm so sorry. 

deadlights86
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Be firm but caring-I do with my son--for ex. my son pounds on wall-I say I am walking out of room and when you are ready to act like young man then I will come back in-

Also I have him show me his manners and listening ears and repeat and repeat it and have him interpret what that means to him

sorry if this don't make sense-it is late

I have more ideas but right now my brain is tired from the day

hugs mama!!

It doesn't matter to him if we leave the room or not he will still be very rude and nasty and manners seem like a joke to him. I haven't seen manners out of him in a while even though I remind him of them daily. He refuses to say sorry to anyone and asking him to causes a huge crying tantrum. He doesn't comprehend anything well enough to tell us what it means to him. I'm not sure what his iq is but I think its going down. He used to speak much clearer and suddenly its becoming very hard to understand him and he can't answer questions with answers relevent to what was asked. If I ask him where something is his answer will be some obscure place in the house like the least likelly place something would be. Also if I ask him to pick something up off the floor it takes him forever to see it even if its right in front of him.

awesomemommy2
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM
In addition to the DS has he ever been diagnosed with ODD as his behaviors present very much like that would. Maybe talk to someone on his team at school and let them know what's been going on and see what they suggest and possibly get an eval.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Hugs mama!  Does he have any therapists or teachers that might have good ideas on this?  When my son is struggling with a behavior I usually ask his therapist and we go from there:)  Good luck!

deadlights86
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to ask his teacher. He doesn't have therapists at the moment he did have like pt speech and ot but I'm not sure how much they help with this.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  Does he have any therapists or teachers that might have good ideas on this?  When my son is struggling with a behavior I usually ask his therapist and we go from there:)  Good luck!

MommyAJ2921
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM

*taking notes...*

willysmama
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Have you tried taking him to his doctor and explain the changes you have been seeing? Maybe there is a reason he is regressing in some areas

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I would take him to his dr and get another evaluation done. If he's regressing then they need to at least try to find out why. You said he's your stepson? How much time does he spend with his mom and her part if the family? Do your husband and her get along?
deadlights86
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM
None he hasn't seen her in probably 4 years. He couldn't even point her out in a picture.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

I would take him to his dr and get another evaluation done. If he's regressing then they need to at least try to find out why. You said he's your stepson? How much time does he spend with his mom and her part if the family? Do your husband and her get along?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)