Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I had this terrible thought

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son has verbal apraxia. He's been in speech therapy since November and has made great progress. Maybe too good. He's going to be three this summer and I have his IEP conference next week. Then he will be evaluated. I'm afraid he won't be delayed enough anymore to get the help he needs. He certainly doesn't speak like a 3 year old. I would say he's at the level of a 18-20 month old now. He was at the level of a 12 month old when we started. I am literally gagging him with spoons on a daily basis to help his isolate the muscles to make sounds like "g" and "K". At this point he doesn't use the back of his throat at all. He recently was able to make the "f' sound and so now that is part of his repertoire. I had this thought that I should stop working with him so hard until after the eval. If he starts making the G and K sounds there is no way they will do anything for him. Is that a terrible thought I just had? I want him to talk, I really do. I just can't afford the copays with my insurance to get him speech therapy without the help of the school. I mean....I will. I'm just upset. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse on this and I should just wait and see. It's possible he will be taken care of by our school. I'm just so afraid.

photo cff93b12-86de-46b2-be52-d4be4609e9b7_zpsf2ed7349.jpg

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Lol it's not terrible, trust me. I try to schedule evals and appointments during their worst times of day. Why? Because these people need to see them at their worst, not best.

I know your worry well. My youngest just turned 3 and got booted from therapy even tho he still has many serious delays. We're applying for ssi for him and my daughter and hopefully be done with the school system.

Try to relax mama. If he's that delayed still they'll most likely keep him in, I would think. Does he have other delays?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I completely get it. We are seeing our new dr in may and can't get Botox until June. I'm peeved its taking so long, but happy because the dr will see just how tight his legs are. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Hugs mama!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Welcome to the group:)

Kitschy
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

No other delays. He's advanced in most other areas which is part of his frustration. This smart little boy who can't communicate. When he started therapy everything was Da. Now as I said he has more control of his mouth and throat with the exception of the back of it. He's not choking on food anymore either which is great.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Lol it's not terrible, trust me. I try to schedule evals and appointments during their worst times of day. Why? Because these people need to see them at their worst, not best.

I know your worry well. My youngest just turned 3 and got booted from therapy even tho he still has many serious delays. We're applying for ssi for him and my daughter and hopefully be done with the school system.

Try to relax mama. If he's that delayed still they'll most likely keep him in, I would think. Does he have other delays?

Kitschy
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group:)

Thank you

lvalerio20
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Im sorry to say this but i dont think thats right...maybe its because my son isnt severly delayed...his st said his at a 18 to 20 month old level and his 27 months. I have yet to see his therapist do things with him that i cannot do myself...if your son would not qualify anyymore maybe its because with your help he has the potential to develop to where he needs to be..i believe these services need to be given to children who really need them..im sorry if im coming off rude that is not my intention..
x_Starr_x
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Seriously gagging him with spoons I hope that's sarcasam
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM
That's great progress!!!
Well, I know how you feel about the therapy. If he doesn't qualify, ask her for things you can do at home to help. And google. I found a ton of ot exercises to do with my 3 over the summer.
ALS check with your insurance to see if they would cover at least some of it. If you could do maybe an hour a week or even every other week, it would still give you a good base of things to work on at home in between

Quoting Kitschy:

No other delays. He's advanced in most other areas which is part of his frustration. This smart little boy who can't communicate. When he started therapy everything was Da. Now as I said he has more control of his mouth and throat with the exception of the back of it. He's not choking on food anymore either which is great.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Kitschy
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My insurance will cover it, but we have a $40 co pay and then it's 80/20 insurance as well.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

That's great progress!!!
Well, I know how you feel about the therapy. If he doesn't qualify, ask her for things you can do at home to help. And google. I found a ton of ot exercises to do with my 3 over the summer.
ALS check with your insurance to see if they would cover at least some of it. If you could do maybe an hour a week or even every other week, it would still give you a good base of things to work on at home in between

Quoting Kitschy:

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN