Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

hypertonia??

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:14 AM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter was diagnosed with hypertonia and hyperreflexia. She is getting an MRI done on May 3rd of her brain. Does anyone know much about the two? Is there any way to help her with these conditions... any treatments? Does it always mean brain damage/spinal cord damage??

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Welcome to the group!  I'm not familiar with those to be honest...hugs and good luck!

skeletor1017
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi! My daughter has hypertonia but not hyperreflexia. Hypertonia is where the muscles are pulled too tightly. In my DD's case, hers was in her back, backs of the arms and backs of the legs. It caused her to not be able to move in a normal fashion. She was diagnosed at 4 months and started physical therapy at 6 months. She was delayed in almost all gross motor milestones but with her PT she has been able to overcome those obstacles and is a very mobile 22 month old. She has had a brain and spinal MRI and both have come back normal. She has undergone, over a year, various types of testing and so far all we know at this point is that she has some sort of chromosomal abnormality. With more testing we're hoping to figure it out and get her a full diagnosis. GL to you and your daughter! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Here's a pic of my little goober :)

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM
My foster son has spastic CP (so really high tone, especially in his legs)... Not sure if its the same as hypertonia.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadySaphira
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I have never delt with either so I know nothing about them. My oldest DD (also happens to be named Adrienne) does have issues where her feet cramp up and the muscles tighten for a couple of minutes but it only happens a couple times a month.

adriennesmom401
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group!  I'm not familiar with those to be honest...hugs and good luck!

Thank you!

adriennesmom401
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Yeah that's what is going on with mine. Not being able to move in a normal fashion. Mine was diagnosed at 4 months as well and began therapy now at 6 months. How long did she have PT? How old was she when she could sit up, crawl, walk? She is precious, btw.

Quoting skeletor1017:

Hi! My daughter has hypertonia but not hyperreflexia. Hypertonia is where the muscles are pulled too tightly. In my DD's case, hers was in her back, backs of the arms and backs of the legs. It caused her to not be able to move in a normal fashion. She was diagnosed at 4 months and started physical therapy at 6 months. She was delayed in almost all gross motor milestones but with her PT she has been able to overcome those obstacles and is a very mobile 22 month old. She has had a brain and spinal MRI and both have come back normal. She has undergone, over a year, various types of testing and so far all we know at this point is that she has some sort of chromosomal abnormality. With more testing we're hoping to figure it out and get her a full diagnosis. GL to you and your daughter! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Here's a pic of my little goober :)

adriennesmom401
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:59 AM

She has really high tone in her arms in legs :( What signs and symptoms did he have that made the drs look into the CP?

Quoting Elyssa414:

My foster son has spastic CP (so really high tone, especially in his legs)... Not sure if its the same as hypertonia.

adriennesmom401
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Mine does it constantly!! Every day. She cannot relax at all :/

Quoting LadySaphira:

I have never delt with either so I know nothing about them. My oldest DD (also happens to be named Adrienne) does have issues where her feet cramp up and the muscles tighten for a couple of minutes but it only happens a couple times a month.

adriennesmom401
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Does anyone know if hypertonia is painful to them at all?

adriennesmom401
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:07 AM

And is hypertonia considered a disability? I've heard yes and no to that so i have no idea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)