Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Need help

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

just found out that my almost 2 yr old son has partial epiliepsy in the frontal lobe.... i have never really known anyone that has had that before and im totally clueless on this whole thing.... they want to put him on some med that is like 300 mg but the side effective are more serious then the actual problem he is having now.... they wont to do an MRI since his 24 hr eeg was abnormal.... plz give me some info about anything

thank you so much and God Bless

melissa

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
karene999
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM

What medication do they want to put him on. My son also has epilepsey, partial complex seizures. They have never done an MRI for him only EEG's. What would be the purpose of the MRI?

My only thought is are you comfortable with the neurologist, your at a point where it becomes a judgement call, and that is the hardest part. My rule has always been if I have a good feeling about the doctor, or am comfortable dealing with them, then I always follow their advice at first. As you move along with treatment I just review the situation and make changes if they feel they are necessary.

Good Luck.

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM

welcome , im joy

melissa0810722
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM

The reason they want to do an MRI is because his eeg was abnormal on the right side..... They want to put him on a med that starts with a t I have the scriped in the car but just to lazy right now to get it lol. I am very comfortable with the neuro he was wonderful I'm just not comfortable with giving him the meds what he has in partial epilepsy of the frontal lobe r u familiar with that karene999 and thanks letstalk747

gma12.1
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Welcome to the group! Lina was diagnosed 2 years ago, at 7 with seizure disorder. When she was first dx she was in the ER and they hooked her to an EEG, then did a CT and the day after she was released they did an MRI to try to figure out what had brought on the seizures. We left the hospital with her on Keppra. A couple months ago she had another MRI to see if there was anything different because she was showing a new neuro symptom. She had an EEG a month ago to check for unseen seizure activity. Everything showed the left side of her brain is the same as it was 2 yrs ago, the EEG showed what was expected but no unseen seizure activity.

She is currently on Keppra and 2 months ago they added Trileptal. The Keppra she had no side effects with and to be honest I don't know if Keppra really has many side effects. The Trileptal has some side effects which aren't affecting Lina at all.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins R & A

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM
T... Topamax? Trileptal?

My son had seizures for 7 years. All different types, every day. He's finally seizure-free since brain surgery 3 years ago, but before that we've been on so many meds and treatments! Sometimes it really does seem like the side effects are worse than the seizures.

There are some things to think about- how often is he seizing? Is it getting worse? (One neuro described the brain as a track, and every time the car goes around the same loop -has a seizure- the tire tracks get more worn in and it's harder and harder to get out of that loop... So basically, the more seizures they have the more likely they are to have more seizures in the future, which is why sometimes medicating makes sense even before the seizures get too bad)... That is not always the case though. Some people can just have the occasional/rare seizure throughout their lives...
Are the seizures affecting his ability to develop typically, or causing regression?
Are the seizures causing physical harm- drop attacks/head injury?

You don't have to medicate! But those are some reasons that you may choose to. (I've gone both routes throughout my son's battle with epilepsy)

As for the MRI, that is fairly standard for epilepsy patients. My son has had MANY. They are looking for the cause of the seizures- brain malformation/lesion/injury etc... About 50% of people with epilepsy never find a cause, but sometimes knowing the source can help determine the best treatment options.

Thinking about you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rowemom3
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Most of them do..keppra is a very good one with less side effects..my son had developed his from brain surgery.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN