Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Mom of ADHD 5 yr. old

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hi, I'm new here. My five year old was diagnosed with ADHD and I would like to talk to others that have been in this situation. We are doing really great with his new programs but I just want to know if anyone else has experienced the same situation. I am extremely happy with his progress but I still get the guilt feeling at times. I chose not to medicate him and he is doing fine with what we decided on but I think I have to get over that hump again with myself. I've been here before (my feelings) but am feeling it's my fault again. Ugh, maybe it's just the rain. Well, thank you.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
j.patzer
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

my husband was dignosed with adhd as a young child, was nedicated from 11 to 18 and now functions just fine with only caffeen, as i also have add theres a good chance my currently 10 mo son will have them too. i think the choice to medicate or not is a very personal one and something only a parent can decide with their drs help, wither the child needs medication or not is so dependant on how intence the adhd symptoms are and they really truely vary from child to child, needs change as they grow and develop so personally i feel as long as the child is learning and not diusrupting and couping fine then with regulare progress check non medicated is fine. you dont have anything to feel gulity about momma.

here if you want to talk text calf mom to my cell 425 501 4812 and ill get back to you as soon as i can.

angel miniJackie

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Welcome to the group!

ladyraven16
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Welcome. I have a 4yr old with severe combined type adhd and he is on meds. I also feel guilt about it but about the meds not the dx. I just remind myself how much better he's doing now. He seriously can't get through the day without them.
Autiziumom
by Bravo on May. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I want to congradulate u on not medicating ur son! I have a son who is 8yr old and he has autism! We don't medicate either and he does great! Its one day at a time mom. There will be hard days! Just wait them out! Find wat relaxes him. My son loves music. Playing on his trampoline! Good luck and remember: u were meant for this!
EBont
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Thank you all. I didn't want to medicate him (he's only five). I'm using playattention and their nanny program and it is working. I just sometimes feel that I'm judged and sometimes others look at me like it's my fault. It isn't, we are good parents and I do feel that it will be alright and this is working. I just wish that it could be more acceptable by other people. He's the best he's ever been and so are we so I guess that's all that really matters. Just some days seem to close in, even though we feel great about what we are doing and the progress is great. Others just get to me.

Kahla11
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:19 AM

My girl just turned 5. She is on the autism spectrum and is ADHD. Somedays I also feel it is my fault even though there really is nothing I could have done to prevent her from being like this. I also have twin girls which I am afraid that one or both will start showing signs as well. Medicating is something that is a decision (imo) for doctor and parent to discuss unless the parent feels that the therapies are going well and the doctor just wants to push for meds I would say leave off the meds. Sorry long night my twins are not sleeping well. Hope you have some good luck OP

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 2, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Welcome to the group!

Bob192
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM

It's not your fault!  My daughter was diagnosed at the same age.  Some days are so much harder than others. Hang in there!!

Bmat
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Welcome to the group! You are doing well, keep up the good work.

CameronsMommy23
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Welcome! My son was diagnosed with ADHD last August. He's 7 now he was 6 then. After talking with his developmental pediatrician and the school staff we decided to try medication. I was really hesitant but his teachers & therapists felt that if he could focus better that he would be more successful learning what he needs to learn. It's been a roller coaster honestly. The first few medicines made him emotional and lethargic. But once we found the right medicine and the lowest dose that worked it was a big help. He's definitely doing better in school. He's staying on task longer. What worked for him is a non stimulant actually. And he's on a low dose which works but doesn't make him too tired or keep him awake. The choice to medicate or not is a tough one but you know what's best for your kiddo. Hang in there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN