Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

SSI assistance...

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:39 AM
  • 12 Replies
My son just became 18 and will graduate this year. From the age if 2, I knew he had a speech delay and needed Ot & PT . His core strength was poor, He has been in LD classes all through school. I had him tested for add & aspergers. Both of wich came back negative.
My son has been let go from two part time jobs due to the lack of consistency and not able to be fully independent.

I'm scared for him as far as being a productive and thriving person. Does SSI sound like something that would make him qualified??

Thank you!
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on May. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

yeah , get that going today-there is no reason not to

Tinkergirl1997
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I would wait and see what he can do on his own. doing for him self bring great self satisfaction that everyone needs for self asteam at eighteen its where they start spreading there wings and figuring out what they can do and were they want to be.
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

They usually want an official dx. Not that you can't try. Good luck. 

jjamom
by Michele on May. 2, 2013 at 7:20 AM
The thing with many of these jobs is that they don't make enough to live on. SSI can help, not only by supplementing income and health insurance, but also by enabling them to get transportation to and from an employment site. I don't believe that you are prohibited from working while on SSI, just limited in amount of income.

Quoting Tinkergirl1997:

I would wait and see what he can do on his own. doing for him self bring great self satisfaction that everyone needs for self asteam at eighteen its where they start spreading there wings and figuring out what they can do and were they want to be.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 2, 2013 at 8:17 AM

This.  Good luck though!

Quoting mandee1503:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM
maybe. You might want try teaching him the skills that he needs to independently hold down a job. Or help him find one in an area he's interested in.
GinaW1971
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

We have been guiding him through and he is in a school co-op frogram. So lots of tips and good info regularly is given.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

maybe. You might want try teaching him the skills that he needs to independently hold down a job. Or help him find one in an area he's interested in.

CameronsMommy23
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM
It wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck to you.!
GinaW1971
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

This is exactly what I was thinking. supplamenting in addition to what he's making would be piece of mind.  It sure would be good to know that if something fell through with a job he had that he would have something that would be a safety net. Not to say that he couldn't enevtually be on his own financially. I feel that it's hard enough our there in the work world.

Quoting jjamom:

The thing with many of these jobs is that they don't make enough to live on. SSI can help, not only by supplementing income and health insurance, but also by enabling them to get transportation to and from an employment site. I don't believe that you are prohibited from working while on SSI, just limited in amount of income.

Quoting Tinkergirl1997:

Rosebud27aj
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

This...good luck...

Quoting mandee1503:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)