Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does the government offer help for children with missing body parts?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 12 Replies

I found out my developing baby has severe deformities in one leg and is missing the other. I'm a student going through school b/c I want to give my child something more in life. I was wondering what assistance the government offers for children who have disabilites/missing appendages. So far, my babies brain scans have all come back normal and healthy. No under development or anything odd. Is my child eligible for full disability?

I'm not sure I'm asking these questions right. I just thought I would start on here to try and figure things out. I was offered the option of abortion. But I'm sticking with my baby and I just want the best for them. Which is why I am looking into assistance that would be available?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graycalico
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I think your baby would qualify for disability, it would be worth a try at least. You should apply after he is born.  Other mom's on here might know more, I'm fairly new to all this too. I'll be sending you good vibes, that's a lot to be going through.

CameronsMommy23
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I think your baby would probably qualify. Apply immediately after birth and see where it leads. Have you tried searching the net for programs in your state? Maybe that would help. Best of luck.
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I would imagine so! Ask your dr, or after your baby is born the pedi.

letstalk747
by Joy on May. 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

i would talk about this with your DR now ,  they would know for sure

luvnature
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I"m pretty sure your baby will be elligible for full disablity.  Wait until the baby is born then go from there. I think you will be a great mommy because you have already made the best decision for your child and I congratulate you for it. :-) "hugs" to you.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 8, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Welcome to the group!  I agree with these ladies:)

LittleCondon
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with what's been said. When we found out my DD had dwarfism we were assigned a case manager to keep all of her appointments and such in order. She has been our best resource in finding things for Madison. She helped us with daycare accomodations, finding a good carseat option, etc. I'd imagine with a case like this you will be given the same. Use that resoource. Remember the doctors are there to help even if all of the red tape gets frustrating! Good luck and congrats on your little blessing.

mammakittykat
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Look into the Shriner's Hospital if there is one where you live. They help a lot with these sorts of things. Also if there isn't one in your immediate area they will provide transportation to the nearest one. Just a thought. When I was a kid I used to help my dad's national guard unit raise money for them. We were active with them from the time I was 4 years old. They helped one of my cousins.

Look at their website to find their nearest hospital.

Dreama Proud wife to Jerry

Proud mommy to

Jerry William, Brhianna Angelina, Johanathan Patrick and Glenn Cleveland

mammakittykat
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on May. 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM
SSI is dependent on the parent's income, but you should at least apply.

The baby will definitely qualify for Medicaid to pay all medical expenses.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)