Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you worry about your other pregnancies?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 7 Replies

My sister is currently pregnant. Her older child is on the Spectrum. Since finding out she was pregnant again, she has been so worried. So much so, that I don't think she is truly enjoying her pregnancy. She is so worried that the baby may have needs as well. I understand where she is coming from but other than just listening to and supporting her, I don't really know how to help allay her fears.

Any and all advice will be appreciated. 

If you had children after your special needs child, did you worry as well?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Our 5 year old has autism and cant walk cause he has hsp. I was already pregnant then we find out that our oldest son has autism. I already knew he had hsp. Even when doc kept saying he was fine. I did worry cause we knew our son was special needs cause not talking. So i was worried about being pregnant again.But it all turned out good. Chase is 2 years old and he dont have autism or hsp. He has a little speech delay but he is teaching his big brother.  

Rosebud27aj
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

My oldest is autistic and when I got pregnant again I did worry he'd be autistic too. But not to point of overly stressing about it.  Come to find out, my youngest is autistic also. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I miscarried my 2nd pregnancy... but I was worried too.
I was worried not only would my second child be on the spectrum, but how would my first handle the change, the sharing, the difference?
I did some reading about how the increase in autism can be related to the pitocin given to speed up the birthing process.... that the "fake" creation of the natural hormone can perhaps be attributed.. Id probably just aviod pitocin in the delivery room..since I feel like that may have been a contributor....
I cant have any more kids... so Im done with the one wonderful HFA kid I have.
Wishing your sister peace... and all the best to her upcoming addition to their family! :) keep me posted!

mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I was more worried about miscarrying with ds then special needs. Because my dd is typical. Now, when we try for another baby I'll probably worry some.

LittleCondon
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I wasn't too worried about it during my pregnancy. Madison has dwarfism, but the odds of the other baby having it were very small. I was just so excited and to be honest, it's out of my control. He'd be my kid regardless. Unfortunately we lost our son just after he came into this world. So, the thought of that is scaring me much more than anything when it comes to this pregnancy.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Good luck!  We only have one child:)

Bellum
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Here is the thing about worry- rarely do we have any control over what we are worrying about.  I understand her concern, I had 2 kids after my first had Down syndrome.  For me, I just needed to make a conscious effort to set down my burden, and in my case, give it to God.  I know it is not easy, but it helped give me peace.  Good luck to your sister.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)