Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Approved for peg tube but now not sure..

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 5 Replies
We had a reflux test and a swallow test again all were normal. Conners been eating good but still not gaining weight like he should. Now he is teething all his molars and he isnt eating so much. I know eventually it will pass but he is 19ibs at 18months. I'm just scared of the surgery as much as i want him to gain weight im not sure if its a fixed answer. He eats almost two jars food 3xs a day and 5, 6oz bottles still. Its every two hrs any sooner he will throw up. So if i did do a peg im not sure if it would be the same. I been back and forth on this. One dr says it will help and another says don't mess with it cause he is eating more now. But its not enough fats and calories and him eating purees and certain textures and taste its limited to what he will take. I'm stressed and i know some of yaw have been through this so please give me some advice and your story on it good or bad. I've asked this group prob 3xs but now that he is approved and we cab just go in when were ready scares me and makes me think.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Hugs mama!  I know this is scary, but just know that you are a great mom and you'll do what is best for your child.  My son has a g-tube...he got it when he was 2 years old and he's now almost 5.  It was the best thing we ever did to be honest.  It took SO much pressure and stress off me when he wouldn't eat.  He is at a healthy weight now and I couldn't be more happy:)  Hugs!

JenaSmith
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I ment to say g tube also. can u tell me about his surgery and how its been like what can u feed him through it. His dr said it should not be complicated at all cause his stomach and such looked normal for them to place it instead of other surgens. His dad is against it but I'm tired of seeing him so skinny and worn out so fast.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  I know this is scary, but just know that you are a great mom and you'll do what is best for your child.  My son has a g-tube...he got it when he was 2 years old and he's now almost 5.  It was the best thing we ever did to be honest.  It took SO much pressure and stress off me when he wouldn't eat.  He is at a healthy weight now and I couldn't be more happy:)  Hugs!

mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you considered adding extra calories to the bottles and food? We did the tube because my ds was having oral oversions. He would take his bottle, but it was a battle with medicine, and still a battle with actual food.

For a while we would add carnation breakfast mix ins, and early on we did rice. I'd discuss other options since he doesn't seem to have any oral oversions.

JenaSmith
by on May. 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM
He is in feeding therapy now. He has sensory issues and caint chew or use his tongue properly to help with moving the food around. We tried adding stuff but he didn't like it so much but were going to try again. He gets half pedisure and half goats milk in his bottles. He likes the tart tastes of goat milk and its easy on his stomach. If i try adding more than 3oz of pedi he will throw it up. Guess u can say he is sensitive too to certain things

Quoting mandee1503:

Have you considered adding extra calories to the bottles and food? We did the tube because my ds was having oral oversions. He would take his bottle, but it was a battle with medicine, and still a battle with actual food.

For a while we would add carnation breakfast mix ins, and early on we did rice. I'd discuss other options since he doesn't seem to have any oral oversions.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Definitely makes sense as to why you would do a gtube.  There are MANY reasons why children get feeding tubes and many of them don't have oral aversions.  If you've tried to get your child to eat by mouth and they aren't eating enough food to sustain life and grow, then by all means, go the feeding tube route if that's what your doctor recommends. 

Quoting JenaSmith:

He is in feeding therapy now. He has sensory issues and caint chew or use his tongue properly to help with moving the food around. We tried adding stuff but he didn't like it so much but were going to try again. He gets half pedisure and half goats milk in his bottles. He likes the tart tastes of goat milk and its easy on his stomach. If i try adding more than 3oz of pedi he will throw it up. Guess u can say he is sensitive too to certain things

Quoting mandee1503:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)