Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: I Keep My House a Mess on Purpose and Here is Why

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 15 Replies

I Keep My House a Mess on Purpose but I Have a Good Reason

by Mary Fischer

messy deskSigh. For over a week, I've been frantically searching my house for my son's Little League hat, because it's totally embarrassing for us to keep showing up on the ball field without it. I literally combed this place from top to bottom trying to locate the damn thing to no avail, and I'd all but given up -- until yesterday evening.

That's when I just happened to open the top drawer of my son's dresser, and lo and behold, there was the hat. Want to know why it was there? I'd put it in that drawer a couple weekends ago -- so I wouldn't lose it. So when his next game or practice rolled around, I'd know exactly where to go to grab it and we could be on our merry way.

But you know what? If I'd simply left it lying on top of the washing machine or kitchen island where it usually winds up -- I would've had no problem figuring out where it was.

Here's the thing -- I'm not a messy person, but my house isn't exactly clutter-free the majority of the time. And once in a while, I get all ballsy and wild and decide I'm going to clean up and organize things -- but every time I do, I have at least one thing I simply cannot find anywhere on any given day of the week.

Like the bills, for instance. After I grab the mail each day, instead of putting it neatly away in a folder or something like that, I leave it on the desk in our kitchen. And it stacks up there until I finally find a few minutes to go through it at the end of the week and separate the junk from the bills. And I've never lost one of those bills, except for the time I cleaned out the desk and proceeded to try and separate the mail into different drawers. I'm not really sure what happened, but somewhere between sorting and stashing, I lost three or four bills that month and had to pay the $10 fee to settle them over the phone. (Never again.)

And I really think it's time for me to surrender to the fact that my house will never, ever, EVER (take that, Taylor Swift) look like something out of the pages of the Pottery Barn catalog. What can I say? I thrive on things being in a state of disarray at all times. And I'm ok with that. As strange as it sounds, I function better when my life is literally a mess than when it's all tidy and put together. Yes, things look a whole lot prettier when there aren't books, papers, toys, clothes, jackets, shoes, and laundry baskets all over the place -- but I'll take a few eyesores any day over digging through every area of my house like a madwoman attempting to locate a freakin' hat.

Do you organize everything in your home, or are you ok with messes?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I honestly hate the mad dash around the house looking for items that were put away when we did a big clean (cleaning the clutter). Mine, or one of the other long haird kids' hair brush always ends up on a desk or the coffee table, and we always know where it is, until we clean the desks/coffee table and actually put the hair brush back in the bathroom, then we spend hours accusing another one of taking our hair brush. Same with hats, papers, hair ties, books.... I can spot my keys under four piles of clutter faster then I can spot them when hung up at the door. 

My house is clean, just very cluttered with papers, books, school work, military papers, journals, notebooks, etc. are piled just about everywhere. But they all have a reason for being there... The notebooks go between the three computer desks for writing notes on when we need to jot something down. The military papers are ones that I need to take in and get some clarification on and updated info to send my husband sicne he can't do that while deployed. school work I am organizing (some needs to go into my ASD son's binder as examples, some are work he is to work on over the summer, some are his progress reports for his binder, and more are ones that need to be thrown, when he isn't looking). 

Yes you have to clear a space if you want to set something down, but I know where everything is, and it is organized to me lol.

by Michele on May. 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I'm the same way. I call it organized chaos! LOL. To the outside eye, it makes no sense. But ask me where something is and I know immediately (unless someone else has messed with my mess)!
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I am the same way. If I organized, I swear I can never find anything. 6 month later I will find in the place I put it so it wouldnt get

by Amanda on May. 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

We have some clutter. And I prefer it. I know where everything is.

by on May. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Love It! Glad to hear someone else say it. I have a family of 4 kids, a husband and two dogs. I am the only one who puts things away and everyone goes ballistic when I do, "Mom you lost my ........"  So I give up!

by Elyssa on May. 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM
I'm the opposite- clutter makes me irritated and anxious! If things are put away, I can always find them.
by on May. 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM

My house is a mess. I've stopped putting things where they belong or where I would remember. Lina's school picture? I put it where I knew it wouldn't get lost. I went to get it to send her Aunts & Uncles her picture in a Xmas card I couldn't find that package ANYWHERE. I found it in February. lol  If people leave things alone where they are dumped on the counter or the extra table in the diningroom then I can find it but it never fails someone in this house needs one of those things but never puts it back. Today I needed some safety pins and I knew they were on the table next to the sewing machine NOT there but  NO ONE has come into my house uninvited again and taken a small box of safety pins. I have ghosts in my house named: Not Me, No One, Somebody Else, & I Don't Know.   Do any of you Moms have these ghosts living in your house?

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins R & A

by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

For the most part, everything in my house has a home. If you ask me for something, I can produce it immediately. The one caveat is papers. Although I have file cabinets and a "system," I always have a pile going on the kitchen desk (if company is coming it gets thrown into the desk drawer). I can have all papers put away where they belong and accumulate a new stack within two days. Papers are like rabbits...they reproduce and multiply crazy fast!

by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM
This is exactly me...take THAT dh for calling me the "messiest woman ever"
There's a method to my madness!!!
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I am the exact same way. SOOOOO happy to see I'm not the only one. such a relief. I have been called a pig, a disgusting woman not worthy to have kids and a husband, a slob, and plenty more by people we know. I keep telling people that if you always visit people just to see how they upkeep their house, then you are not a real friend. Real friends visit to see YOU, not to make notes about the mess and clutter. I tend to stay away from people who will make comments about how much of a clutter we have. Well I'm sorry, but everytime I do a deep cleaning and put things away where I think is a so called SAFE spot, I FORGET WHERE THE HELL I PUT THINGS, then the four of us get into a huge argument and accuse each other of having taken others' stuff etc. I hate arguments and fights, we are 4 adults and if there is a mess, we find things, but if it is super cleaned and in order, we lose everything. I'd rather have a mess and clutter and be able to find what I am looking for right away then being a neat freak and NEVER finding what I need when I need it. 

Now I say TAKE THAT MIL.....being clutterfree does not always work for everyone and because you have clutter, does not mean your house is DIRTY and messy does not mean DIRTY either by the way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)