Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Budget Cuts....

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
So I found out yesterday that my dd will not be getting any special education assistance next year because of budget cuts. DD this year was in what was called an inclusion class room. 1/2 of her day was with her regular teacher and the other 1/2 was with a special education teacher. The kids were getting constant one on one attention. DD made so much progress this year. She was expected to fail a state mandated test and actually passed it by 5 points. I credit her passing it because of all the extra help she got in class and at home. Now for next year she will be back in full mainstream classroom which will be a huge struggle for her. The counselor told me they lost funding in special education and therefore they won't have enough teachers to keep up the inclusion program. They are going from 3 teachers down to 2. She did say if they get more students enrolling in special education they maybe able to get another teacher and start the program back up. Is it bad of me to hope for enough special education enrollment to get this program back.....

My girls are my world................teen girl

by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
girl_incognito
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM

You need an advocate. Budgeting is their issue momma, not yours.. By law if she needs extra help while mainstreamed they must give it to her... and they can't put her in a self contained either because IDEA requires all children be taught in their least restrictive environment (LRE). Special education is not a place it's a service... I'm absolutely positive your state department of education would very much frown upon this, it illegal to deny her a free and appropriate public education, and that is what they are doing.

It sounds like your district is hoping you don't know your rights. Lack of funding or resources is not a legitimate reason to leave her with out support. 

mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM

If it's in her IEP they cannot deny it! Good luck!

jjamom
by Michele on May. 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
If she has an IEP, they are required by law to live up to it. However, the way in which they chose to do so is not always cut and dry. If they cut a program, they will have to provide for her needs in another way. Are they planning to do pull out services, provide her with an aide to assist her with the modified curriculum? What services is she supposed to be getting? Her IEP should specify hours, who (by position) the provider will be and the setting. Look her IEP over carefully. If they are not able to fulfill it, they are out of compliance and it is a legal issue. They can cut a program, but they cannot change what is stated and obligated in her IEP without an IEP meeting and parental sign off. Good luck!
momgirlsx2
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Its the state that cut the funding to the school. She has a 504 in place that will cover some of the shortfall but not all. She is due for re evaluation this fall and I've already spoke with an advocate who is going to help me thru that and getting her IEP\504 adjusted to fit her needs. Fortunately I have all summer to get my plan in place. Plus we have appointments with all her Drs. Who are all willing to help. Just wish the school would have given some notice.

Quoting girl_incognito:

You need an advocate. Budgeting is their issue momma, not yours.. By law if she needs extra help while mainstreamed they must give it to her... and they can't put her in a self contained either because IDEA requires all children be taught in their least restrictive environment (LRE). Special education is not a place it's a service... I'm absolutely positive your state department of education would very much frown upon this, it illegal to deny her a free and appropriate public education, and that is what they are doing.

It sounds like your district is hoping you don't know your rights. Lack of funding or resources is not a legitimate reason to leave her with out support. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)