Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dr ordered diet and no one wants to listen? edit

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 20 Replies

Are there people in your family or friends who just don't or won't follow some or all of the dietary requirements of the kids?

I have tried to get dh, who does the cooking, to understand that Lina isn't supposed to have barely any salt because of her high blood pressure, she isn't supposed to have lots of potatoes, rice or pasta. He tells me that he doesn't put very much salt in the food, which he doesn't but he either doesn't or won't understand that 90% of prepackaged foods have salt added already. I am trying to stay calm and not scream at him about not listening to what I am saying. I am about to just say the HELL with it and begin cooking again myself and then everyone would have to eat a lot healthier. 

Why not add cooking to the crap I already have to do for everyone! smh

Just needed to get that off my chest. 

***EDIT***Well dh and I had another "talk" today about Lina's diet and school. I just want to smack that man. I am supposed to send a prescription for dietary needs to the school. I talked to nutrition then decided that we are just going to let her eat the school meals until school is out in about 2 weeks. Well HE began about how taking her off dairy and telling us her calcium is low and having her take calcium chews doesn't make sense. So I tell him again that her diet is important because: high blood pressure, enlarged kidneys w/cysts, the muscle on one side of her heart has gotten thicker in a year, her good/bad cholesterol & triglyceride levels (Dr hasn't called w/results yet). I tried to tell him that with all of that her diet is very important and we HAVE to work on it. Now I had to listen to him tell me again how he doesn't put very much salt in food, he doesn't let her eat to much (he is always letting her have more of the bad stuff), he won't listen to me about any of this!

I just want to hit him with something very very heavy right now! 

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •           boy n girlblowing bubbles
  • Ronny              Asa                     Lina 
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM

*hugs*

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 30, 2013 at 5:30 AM

I'm sorry mama!  That has to be frustrating!  No diet restrictions here:)

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I am glad you don't. I am finding out that there is so much in the foods that I buy that she isn't supposed to have it is kind of scarey.  

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I'm sorry mama!  That has to be frustrating!  No diet restrictions here:)

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I'm sorry

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

yeah , i think i would have to start cooking for my kid seperate from the other family  members , and dad can do the others

Hottubgodess
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I am unfamiliar with your situation, so bear with me.  Is your DH her dad?  Does he understand he is KILLING her?  

mlogsdon
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I am the one that does all the appointments, shopping, and cooking. So DH only feeds our son what I've already prepared or approved of. If we're out to eat somewhere, I make the choices. So we really haven't had any issues. I'm sorry it's so hard for you :(

Genie2
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Don't be mad alright..Sounds like a jerk.  My son's father is almost like that.  He says he will feed him what he wants!  Unfortunatly, it is souding like you may have to cook again.

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

My dh & I are the grandparents we have been raising Lina since she was 8 months old, we are raising her brother and sister that are twins. The kids have been with us for 9 years now with their mother only having them physically living with her 10 months off and on in that time. I was the one that realized that there was something wrong and it took me over a year to get a doctor to send her to developmental to see what the problem was, I've taken care of everything from intial suspicion all the way to what I am dealing with now. I am going to start cooking again because he doesn't seem to understand the severity of the whole situation. He and I have been going round about the amount of food he allows her to eat also. DH, his 2 bil (live w/us), & Lina ALL have high BP  2 of the adults have mild/moderate diabetes the 3rd has unstable diabetes and he doesn't take it seriously even tho he has been in hospital. So you would think that DH would cook better & understand more, NOT. I came to the decision today that since I am banging my head against a wall I will begin to cook again and they ALL will eat properly. Besides he pissed me off big time today.  

Quoting Hottubgodess:

I am unfamiliar with your situation, so bear with me.  Is your DH her dad?  Does he understand he is KILLING her?  

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Yes he can be a jerk. I do have to stand up for him just a little he is 67 & I am 52. We raised our 6 kids which none had any issues, they ate what ever wouldn't eat them first. So until 1.5 years ago he didn't have to worry about what people ate in the house there was no special cooking required. Now that there are diet restrictions coming into play he is having problems realizing that he isn't helping. He had a hard time when they found out her problems, then when she had to go to SpEd, then she got hearing aids, glasses, then the seizures began, now the weight, BP, I think he is trying to deny these problems to himself. Then he also has the times that he REALLY can be a JERK! 

Quoting Genie2:

Don't be mad alright..Sounds like a jerk.  My son's father is almost like that.  He says he will feed him what he wants!  Unfortunatly, it is souding like you may have to cook again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)