Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight gain

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM
  • 14 Replies

We had an appointment with the developmental clinic yesterday and the doctor saw that DS hadn't gained weight in almost a year, he's stayed in the 23 lb range. So we're being sent to a nutritionist to see how we can add more calories to the little bit of food he eats. We are also going to try switching him to some sort of high calorie drink, instead of the formula he's been drinking. 

What works for you guys, if you have weight gain issues with your kiddos?

by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM

We are pretty much at a stand still too. Ds has a feeding tube, but all he gets is pediasure. 

mlogsdon
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Quoting mandee1503:

We are pretty much at a stand still too. Ds has a feeding tube, but all he gets is pediasure. 

See that's what he recommended, but I'm nervous about it as DS has sensitivities. If it doesn't sit well, he will be gassy, fussy, and projectile vomit for about a week lol. 

mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM

My friends little guy has EoE, and he is strickly tube fed.

Quoting mlogsdon:

Quoting mandee1503:

See that's what he recommended, but I'm nervous about it as DS has sensitivities. If it doesn't sit well, he will be gassy, fussy, and projectile vomit for about a week lol. 

mlogsdon
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM

We're lucky in that sense... no tube necessary, he CAN eat by mouth, it's just a matter of getting him to do it, and keep it down. He also has low-tone on top of the EoE, so he has a really hard time using his tongue and mouth muscles to properly handle food. Tonight he had mashed potatoes, with lots of butter, and olive oil. He had a blast with it, for about 5 bites. Then he was done lol. He just loses interest so fast!

Quoting mandee1503:

Quoting mlogsdon:

Quoting mandee1503:

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I wish I could give you an idea but Lina eats what you put in front of her.

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •           boy n girlblowing bubbles
  • Ronny              Asa                     Lina 
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

What about giving him several different things, just enough fora bite or two of each, that way he doesn't get bored of the same thing? 

Quoting mlogsdon:

We're lucky in that sense... no tube necessary, he CAN eat by mouth, it's just a matter of getting him to do it, and keep it down. He also has low-tone on top of the EoE, so he has a really hard time using his tongue and mouth muscles to properly handle food. Tonight he had mashed potatoes, with lots of butter, and olive oil. He had a blast with it, for about 5 bites. Then he was done lol. He just loses interest so fast!

Quoting mandee1503:

Quoting mlogsdon:

Quoting mandee1503:

SamMom912
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:14 PM

We love pediasure, but DS needs it cut with regualr milk.. So 1/2 pediasure, 1/2 1percent milk.. 6 oz cup. 

Its helping.. But its a slow road. My guy has oral motor sensitivties.. And little feeling in his mouth.. So he needs high taste food, and have to be careful of over stuffing... Nothing bland.but. Nothing too smelly.. Such a fine line. He eats a little bit 5 times a day. He doesnt feel hunger.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 31, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Hugs mama!  Brady has a feeding tube where most of his calories come from.  He eats one kind of baby food and that's it.  Is your son in feeding therapy?  They would have good ideas:)  

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this

My son who is 5 yearsold is very very picky on what he eats and not alot. He has  autism so he cant say what he really wants.  But his 2 year old brother loves food and they both can wear the same size shorts. Doc thinks he will be bigger then his brother. Sorry i have no good advice.

mlogsdon
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I think that might work. My son also needs high flavor, but hates sweet. I mixed 2 oz if bright beginnings with 4 oz of formula yesterday at each bottle and he seemed to do well. Thanks!

Quoting SamMom912:

We love pediasure, but DS needs it cut with regualr milk.. So 1/2 pediasure, 1/2 1percent milk.. 6 oz cup. 

Its helping.. But its a slow road. My guy has oral motor sensitivties.. And little feeling in his mouth.. So he needs high taste food, and have to be careful of over stuffing... Nothing bland.but. Nothing too smelly.. Such a fine line. He eats a little bit 5 times a day. He doesnt feel hunger.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)