Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

have you seen this ?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Joy
  • 22 Replies
2 moms liked this

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Is it worn or carried?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Good idea
GleekingOut
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:57 AM

It would have to be worn wouldn't it? A character in Jodi Piccoults "House Rules" found this for her son and came to the conclusion that if he had it in his back pocket in his wallet and went to get it out when a police officer spoke to him; that on top of his behaviour/agitation would make the officer assume he was reaching for a gun. But if it was worn, it'd be easier to access and more visible to access.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Is it worn or carried?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I like it!

jjamom
by Michele on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this
There was a recent local case where a man with Down syndrome was killed when he wouldn't leave a movie theater. He was killed by two security guards (who were off duty police officers). The coroner ruled it a homicide, but the police dept (which the two off duty police officers worked for) closed the investigation saying there was no wrong doing on the officers' parts. Local and national DS groups are pushing for an unbiased investigation. This happened 5 mos ago. The police officers restrained him in a facedown hold that suffocated him. This type of card (and definitely more training for law enforcement officers) could have possibly prevented this senseless loss of life.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM
What a heart breaking story.

Maybe a medical alert bracelet with just the autism symbol... And phone number... ?

Quoting jjamom:

There was a recent local case where a man with Down syndrome was killed when he wouldn't leave a movie theater. He was killed by two security guards (who were off duty police officers). The coroner ruled it a homicide, but the police dept (which the two off duty police officers worked for) closed the investigation saying there was no wrong doing on the officers' parts. Local and national DS groups are pushing for an unbiased investigation. This happened 5 mos ago. The police officers restrained him in a facedown hold that suffocated him. This type of card (and definitely more training for law enforcement officers) could have possibly prevented this senseless loss of life.

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I am considering getting my son a medic alert bracelet for all his med allergies that he has. This is a good idea, I wonder if they have one to Tourette Syndrome.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I'm sure you can take this photo into any program and make it suit your child's dx. It's a great idea though.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Lina wears a medic alert bracelet with seizure disorder on it. You could a blank one from most any pharmacy and have it engraved with something like "card in wallet, or for a girl card in purse" that would be one way. But the draw back being that if the person is wearing a long sleeve shirt or jacket the bracelet wouldn't be readily seen. The only way to make sure it was seen would be if the person was taught and would even in an agitated state hold out that arm so that the bracelet could be seen.

I have to update Lina's medic alert account and will look to see if I can get a list of some of the things they have listed. I will post them either in this post or a spin off.  

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  • Ronny              Asa                     Lina 
Jenn8604
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Make them into temporary tattoos.
I know my son won't wear nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN