Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What works for you?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

This summer we need to work on tuning my sons fine motor skills.

What types of things do you do with your children to help them with their FMS? It can be anything from what your therapists suggest to what you have found works on your own. I am open to any and all suggetions.

Thanks

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sherrywong249
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I don't know how old your son is, but I worked with a three- year- old last summer on his fine motor skills. Before we did any work his therapist suggeted 20 min. of deep stretching to make sure all of his muscles were awake and warm before we began. I thought it helped him improve. 

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Not sure the age, but my kids always enjoyed the books called I can cut. its full of different images with dotted lines to cut along, and when you cut them out you can pice them together or they have teddy bears and you can out the clothes and dress them, and tons of other things.

I found this idea on the internet and it has helped, take a strainer and get pipe cleaners to string through the holes, or get giant beads and yarn to string them on, even larg macaroni noodles, we colored them first and used glitter glue. DD is 16 months. I have a dress up corner with socks and shoes and hats for her to play with and she mastered getting socks on and shoes on her own. Just stuff like that helps them develop. How old?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Toys with small buttons, peg board, coloring (jumbo crayons), playdoh, turning pages on books.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Stacking blocks, shape sorter...my son is young, can you tell?  LOL!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Remember, anything that works the arm in general with improve FMS. It is a chain reaction.. if the top of the arm is weak.. then as you go down to fore arm, wrist, and into each finger, it gets weaker and weaker and weaker.... so ANYTHING that works the arm muscles is good for FMS.
Swimming IS great.. moving that water around with cupped hands, open fingers. Playing in mud... (drop 4 small objects into a bin of mud (consistancy of thick playdoh) and try to pull them out.. (great sensory too!)
legos, jumping jacks, even simple clapping or squishy balls...
Holding your childs legs and making them like a wheelbarrow is excellent for FMS as it strengthens their arms and wrists. pulling weeds, make chocolate chip cookies and have them add the chocolate chips 1 at a time into the cookie... 8 per cookie.. (then eat!)
YOGA.. there are great yoga videos for kids. Set up the ipad.. so some yoga poses. builds tons of muscle.
climbing a ladder (great for motor planning delays as well as OT). Get the old game of "I sunk your battle ship" and set up the boats- play a game. All the small peices are great OT. Lite bright. Mr. Mustache... (I dont know what else that is called)
Buy a piggy bank,(or coffeecan with slit cut in plastic top) give kid 30 pennies and have him drop in.
of course all the old standards, write letters, cut paper, color, playdoh.
make it fun!!!! :) These are all GAMES that improve ot without the kid even knowing!!!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

this is the mustache guy game I was talking about... LOL

oh, and dont forget word searches, mazes to follow (printable from internet) :)

Mipsy
by Chelle on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We did playdoh and our OT would put googly eyes in it and he would have to dig through and find them.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM
We like silly putty. We hid small beads in it and have them find them :)
mlogsdon
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Toys with small buttons, peg board, coloring (jumbo crayons), playdoh, turning pages on books.

Same for us :) We also play with cheerios a lot. Food works beautifully at keeping his attention ;-)

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM

These are really great ideas. Thank you so much.

Quoting SamMom912:

Remember, anything that works the arm in general with improve FMS. It is a chain reaction.. if the top of the arm is weak.. then as you go down to fore arm, wrist, and into each finger, it gets weaker and weaker and weaker.... so ANYTHING that works the arm muscles is good for FMS.
Swimming IS great.. moving that water around with cupped hands, open fingers. Playing in mud... (drop 4 small objects into a bin of mud (consistancy of thick playdoh) and try to pull them out.. (great sensory too!)
legos, jumping jacks, even simple clapping or squishy balls...
Holding your childs legs and making them like a wheelbarrow is excellent for FMS as it strengthens their arms and wrists. pulling weeds, make chocolate chip cookies and have them add the chocolate chips 1 at a time into the cookie... 8 per cookie.. (then eat!)
YOGA.. there are great yoga videos for kids. Set up the ipad.. so some yoga poses. builds tons of muscle.
climbing a ladder (great for motor planning delays as well as OT). Get the old game of "I sunk your battle ship" and set up the boats- play a game. All the small peices are great OT. Lite bright. Mr. Mustache... (I dont know what else that is called)
Buy a piggy bank,(or coffeecan with slit cut in plastic top) give kid 30 pennies and have him drop in.
of course all the old standards, write letters, cut paper, color, playdoh.
make it fun!!!! :) These are all GAMES that improve ot without the kid even knowing!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN