Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Medication Costs!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM
  • 24 Replies

Every once in a while it just sort of slaps me in the face just how much DS's SN cost!!!  (And he's got pretty "minor" issues at this point.)  Just got a call from the pharmacy.  One of his medications for this month is going to cost over $400 all by itself!  (Luckily I have a $115 coupon, so it's going to end up only costing me about $300, but still.)  

It's not really a huge problem.  Due to the way our insurance works, there is plenty of money for it sitting in the HSA, and we always meet the deductible one way or another, so what difference does it make if it's $400 today vs. $200 over two months.  But still, I'm having a little bit of sticker shock.  haha. 

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I know what you mean on the cost of medication. Lina takes the generic version of Keppra it is almost 1,300 & Trileptol almost 300. and the cost blows my mind and they just added Lisinipril which is reallly cheap at about 11.00, then there is her EpiPenn, and DiaStat which don't have to be filled every month. I check to see how much they charge and think it is a really really good thing that the insurance covers the cost. 

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  • Ronny              Asa                     Lina 
Mipsy
by Chelle on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Meds alone were putting us in the hole a couple yrs ago. Luckily now our secondary picks it up. But they still show the prices on the receipt and its mind blowing and sickening.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

It's crazy how much medicine costs!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM

For a while we were paying 80 for baclofen every 2 weeks. Thankfully now I only 10 a month.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Part of the reason im trying alternative parenting models... Im looking to avoid medication.. For medication you need psychiatrist. Child Psychiatrists in our area get 500 (not covered by insurance as none if them take insurance) per hour w 6 hour minimum first appointment. 2 hour subsequent vists... Ugg!
letstalk747
by Joy on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM

oh yeah , meds are rediculos

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I really feel sorry for everyone who has to deal with all the medical costs. I could never do it. I am so glad I live where medical is free and sure some meds we have to pay for if we dont have benefits through work, but if benefits dont cover you or all of it, its not all that much. I dont have benefits at the moment and in the last year I have paid 120.00 for meds.

I honestly dont know how you guys do it.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I didn't have good luck with a psychiatrist.  We're using a neurologist for DS's medication.  We've done behavioral management therapy too, both him alone and use together, but it's not enough by itself.  He NEEDS the medication to have a good life, he just can't cope with too many every day tasks without it.  So, I'm very glad for our insurance!  

Quoting SamMom912:

Part of the reason im trying alternative parenting models... Im looking to avoid medication.. For medication you need psychiatrist. Child Psychiatrists in our area get 500 (not covered by insurance as none if them take insurance) per hour w 6 hour minimum first appointment. 2 hour subsequent vists... Ugg!

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I do it by just budgeting for it!  

Our insurance premiums are about $400/month that comes strait from my paycheck.  I put an additional $400/month directly from my check (tax free, thank goodness) into an HSA.  That additional $400/month is enough to cover the $3,000 deductible, plus the additional medication co-pays of around $120/month for the months after we hit the copay.  There's enough overage to help carry us over to the beginning of the next year so that we don't incurr more medical costs than the balance that's built up in the HSA.  

I'm lucky in that, with my insurance, perscription copays are the only thing we have to pay out of pocket once we hit the deductible, so it's pretty easy to budget for.  

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

I really feel sorry for everyone who has to deal with all the medical costs. I could never do it. I am so glad I live where medical is free and sure some meds we have to pay for if we dont have benefits through work, but if benefits dont cover you or all of it, its not all that much. I dont have benefits at the moment and in the last year I have paid 120.00 for meds.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Well thats good. From what I have read in other threads and that not so many ppl are lucky and can afford it. I know I wouldnt be able to afford it at all. lol

Quoting DDDaysh:

I do it by just budgeting for it!  

Our insurance premiums are about $400/month that comes strait from my paycheck.  I put an additional $400/month directly from my check (tax free, thank goodness) into an HSA.  That additional $400/month is enough to cover the $3,000 deductible, plus the additional medication co-pays of around $120/month for the months after we hit the copay.  There's enough overage to help carry us over to the beginning of the next year so that we don't incurr more medical costs than the balance that's built up in the HSA.  

I'm lucky in that, with my insurance, perscription copays are the only thing we have to pay out of pocket once we hit the deductible, so it's pretty easy to budget for.  

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)