Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What now?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 8 Replies

So Lina has had lisinipril added, she is having a renal ultrasound, then a hydrogen breath test, then she sees the BP Doc, then she sees the GI who is a new Doc added to the list. All of those from the 19th of June thru the 23rd of July. No real big deal they are spread out. I don't know who to feel more sorry for ME or HER.

So here is what is next stressing ME out. Lina's teacher found out on Thursday, that Lina might not be able to move with her class & the level 3 program she is in to the new school, as soon as she got off the phone with the special services coordinator she called me. If she can't move with the class then she would go back to the school that has the level 2 program with her being in the classroom & then being taken into the resource room for her classes that are higher than the other kids. The reason for this is that the district RN was going thru medical records and saw that Lina has an order for DiaStat to be administered in an emergency. Well DiaStat can't be administered by anyone except a licensed nurse/medical person. The new school doesn't have a full time nurse, the nurse is only there 1.5-2 days a week so Lina wouldn't be able to go to that school. I finally was able to talk to the district nurse and here is some encouraging news. There are 2 ways that Lina can move with her class/program both require cooperation from her neuro.

1st option: Doc is willing to sign that she doesn't need to have DiaStat at school. I'm okay with that because she hasn't had a major seizure or any seizure that anyone has seen during the day for a long long time, over a year. All her seizures have happened at night at home.

2nd option: Doc is willing to create a modified emergency medical care plan that would go something like this:   Angelina does not need to be removed from her current special education program level if the following conditions are met. In the case of an emergency IF a licensed nurse is on site the DiaStat is to be administered, IF no licensed nurse is available call 911.    The nurse explained both to me so that I could intelligently discuss each option with the Dr. She also told me that no matter what if Lina had a seizure and even if DiaStat was given they call 911. After talking to the special services coordinator and finding out what they would do if she goes back to the level 2 program, then talking to her current teacher & taking in what we have seen here at home in progress. The teacher & I are of the opinion if she goes back to the lower level it would impede the progress she has made and the upheaval of moving from the classroom to the resource room and back daily would aggravate the already increased anxiety that we've been dealing with here at home. Her teacher hasn't seen much anxiety at school, but I think she is overlooking some of Lina's tells for anxiety & overload because Lina has done it since school began and so the teacher just thinks that this is part of Lina's condition rather than a sign of a problem brewing, this teacher is new to actual SpEd teaching. She is the one I told everyone about that was hired like 5 days before the 1st day of school.

I sent a message to the neuro's office and hope to have an answer on Monday. I need to get some kind of answer so that I can prepare Lina if she has to go somewhere else. She is really hyped about moving and having all the same kids & saff. 

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  • Ronny              Asa                     Lina 
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Wow!  That is a lot of details to have to work out...geez mama!  Hugs and good luck...keep us posted!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Yikes. I hope it all gets worked out next week for you!
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

*hugs* hope it all works out!

letstalk747
by Joy on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM

whoa , hope it is all worked out

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Wow!  That is a lot of details to have to work out...geez mama!  Hugs and good luck...keep us posted!

I really thought all the surprises were over. As soon as I find out I'll let you know. Thanks.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Quoting Elyssa414:

Yikes. I hope it all gets worked out next week for you!

Yea! I liked my life so much better when I could just reply to posts. Now it seems like every time I turn around something else is going on. Should I run & hide? Maybe the surprises won't be able to find me?! hahaha

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Well I really had planned on a quiet restful summer break. That saying "you are never given more than you can handle" who ever began that needs to be smacked upside the head! 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol you aren't given more than you can handle. You've handled everything so far have t you? I've learned God has a lot more trust in me than I do lol

Good luck getting everything figured out! In sorry the summer is getting so hectic for you!! Hang in there!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)