Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Watery Eyes

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 13 Replies

Im new to this group but my daughter will hopefully fit in well here. She has multiple special needs, asthma, GI issues, communication issues, eating problems, just to name a few.

Ive noticed a few times in the sunlight her eyes will water like she is crying but will go away by going into the house or somewhere where shes not in direct sunlight. Today we went to a splash pad for the first time since she was born (shes 19 months) and as we were sitting over on the beach just relaxing her eyes were watering like she was crying. It was really bad, I couldnt believe how much it was happening. I try to put sunglasses on her but she will not keep them on her head so I eventually had to give up and then she was rubbing her eyes the whole time. We eventually left and since being home and in the house shes been fine other than her eyes look very irritated and puffy.

Any idea what could be causing this? Im going to mention it at her weight check on friday but shes only seeing a nurse so Im not sure what we will be able to get from that apointment. I wonder if I need to keep her indors more, which upsets me so much because she loves to be outside.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlogsdon
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Mine does that. He's very fair skinned with blue eyes, so I think he's just sensitive, but he will also be wearing eyeglasses as soon as they come in. He loves being outside, and won't wear his sunglasses, so I try to shade his eyes, or let him play with my sunglasses. For some reason MINE are more acceptable than his lol

girlymom26
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

My daughter is also fair skinned and has hazel eyes....I never thought of that being a reason why. I do remember hearing that kids with ligher pigment eyes are more sensitive. My husband and I both have brown eyes as does her big sister so this is new to me. I wonder if I can just call our optometrist to see what they say, her dad and I both wear glasses and her sister probably will at some point. Sister was tested around the same age for showing sings of not being able to see well but they said it wasnt bad enough to need glasses.

mlogsdon
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Quoting girlymom26:

My daughter is also fair skinned and has hazel eyes....I never thought of that being a reason why. I do remember hearing that kids with ligher pigment eyes are more sensitive. My husband and I both have brown eyes as does her big sister so this is new to me. I wonder if I can just call our optometrist to see what they say, her dad and I both wear glasses and her sister probably will at some point. Sister was tested around the same age for showing sings of not being able to see well but they said it wasnt bad enough to need glasses.

We both wear glasses too, though mine are mostly for reading/computer/night driving. DH can't see a thing without his lol. But yes, lighter eyes are generally more sensitive to light. You could try getting one of those straps for baby glasses that makes it more difficult to pull off? 

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Welcome to the group!

I don't have experience with the watery eyes, but what about a large brimmed hat/bonnet for her?
girlymom26
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I bought her a pair that have the strap but her head is so small they wont stay on :( Totally bummed me out becuase they were like $8. She is failure to thrive so shes very tiny. Im going to try to alter them to fit tighter but I dont think it will keep her from pulling them off.

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

welcome , im joy

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Welcome to the group!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Welcome!  How about a hat?  That might work:)  Hugs!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM

My daughter with Down syndrome is the same way.  She has always squinted or closed her eyes in the sun, water.  I do think that happens more in spring and summer like it may be allergy related.  Have not found a way around it yet.  She is almost five.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:19 PM
My sons are both sensitive to the sunlight. They like to wear sunglasses though. My older son has a genetic deletion and part of what is deleted has to do with the eyes and that's probably why he's light sensitive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)