Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What do you wish parents of "typical" kids could understand about parenting a child with special needs?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you wish parents of "typical" kids could understand about parenting a child with special needs?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Replies (11-19):
Tal0n
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM

That yes, "God" DOES give us more than we can handle, thanks.  Even if we're handling it, it's not something they need to "admire" us for.  We're not "strong".  We're PARENTS.

lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:25 AM

We can not just get up and be ready in 10 minutes-it takes time

When I am home from work I am doing lots of work-scheduling, calling 

It is not just easy to switch agency 

It is 24/7 care

It is a lot of traveling

No easy answers

AEB_MRB
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM

That his tantrums are not because he's a spoiled brat, that I wasn't too lazy to teach him to talk, that he is not too old to have a lovey blanket(sensory seeker so it calms him), that yes it can take us around 3 hours to get ready for something, mainly the tantrum part.(His are mostly violent to himself including hitting, biting, spanking, and slapping himself.)

xanadu96
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Just because a chart and rewards worked for your kid don't assume they'll work for mine.

It's not a tantrum, it's a meltdown and it happens whenever he experiences sensory overload or something changes and he wasn't told about it beforehand.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM
The lack of information that the doctors have. It amazes me how much research and work I have to do myself to take to them to get the tests done.
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I agree! I feel like I know more about D's deletion than his geneticist does and I just found out about it in August. He's a great doctor, but D is his first patient with it. Which makes sense because it's a rare condition, but still. He wouldn't test LO because he said he's very smart and all kids with it have learning disabilities which isn't true. I had to arrange LO's testing myself through a foundation.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

The lack of information that the doctors have. It amazes me how much research and work I have to do myself to take to them to get the tests done.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:33 AM

We can not rush through things and we have to take our time.  Sometimes if someone just asked how can I help you?  It would be wonderful!!!  Anything!!!  

SAMI_JO
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM

That the smallest of things to them, are the greatest things to us!

momalee40
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I'm new to this as my dd is only 4 mo old. My family has really never had a sn child til now. They have been wonderful and supportive. Like the other moms, I wish people could spend 5 minutes with her and get a dose of her big smile and silly way she scrunches her nose up, they would see she is perfect. We have been blessed to have no major health problems as yet but what people around me don't understand is that ,yes, typical kids can develop many problems as they grow that are horrible but with my dd,who has down syndrome, I have all these conditions and possible health problems listed for me and I constantly worry if every little thing is gonna get worse. This is my 3rd child, yes I worried about my others but they were "normal" healthy kids . I was reminded of the statistics at every turn.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)