Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What has been the most unexpected thing about parenting a child with special needs?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 11 Replies

What has been the most unexpected thing about parenting a child with special needs?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM
How okay with it I am now… I never thought I'd get to a peace with all of this with Elijah. I love him he is! I love that he'll never move out! I love everything about him :)

Also who I have become, so fierce and stubborn and strong…
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM

That they are so much more like typical children than they are different from.  Society has taught us fear and encouraged stereotypical thinking on disability children.  My life is so much fuller than it would have been without my SN kiddos.  The love that radiate off them is heart melting and addictive! 

jjamom
by Michele on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Just how truly blessed I feel to have my son in my life. That life is not too different than it was before our SN child was born (he's our third child). But more than anything, what I have learned about compassion and respect for all people, that is an invaluable life lesson.
trio8707
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

How I couldn't imagine life any other way... as much as I would love to have 3 healthy children I truly couldn't imagine it any other way.  I love my kids for who they are. 

lifeisajoy
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:27 AM

the wonderful people my son and I would meet

mlogsdon
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM

That i can see the good in it now. His delays can also mean i enjoy each stage a little longer than most people :) my baby still lets me snuggle him, though maybe not as much as he used to. But I know lots of kiddos that started fighting snuggling much earlier. I get to watch him explore the world and try to figure it out, and hes just so much fun to watch i cant stand it :)

xanadu96
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Some of the wild things he says! His imagination is just amazing!
iamtryingforme
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Having 8 different diagnoses.  

momalee40
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM
How she is just a baby, not a down syndrome baby, but a baby who happens to have DS. She is sweet and cuddly and smiles and melts into her mama because mama knows all the right moves :) no, this is not what I expected almost 4 mo ago when she was born but now, I wouldn't change a thing about her.
Pukalani79
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

How difficult it has  been to get to the bottom of things. I always thought it would be a simple - this is what's going on, this is how we'll handle it, and we'll go from there.  Instead it's been years of ruling things out.

The compassion that it has created in my girls.  Because they struggle, they are particularly sensitive to others who struggle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN