Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Discipline for little one

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM
  • 4 Replies
How do you discipline your young ones? My son is almost 2 and I could use some discipline ideas. That would work. Mainly something I could do to let him know his fits (screaming yelling throwing himself on the ground hitting his head on the ground biting himself) are not acceptable. Thanks!
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Here's a bump because I don't discipline Jacob. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Well, Brady only understands certain things...but he does understand what the word "no" means...if he's getting into something he isn't supposed to and such.  He gets 2 warnings and then he goes to time out.  Typically the warnings work but time out usually does the trick otherwise.  He gets his feelings hurt and then doesn't misbehave again.  

Now, the tantrums you are referring to...those are different.  My son is Autistic and when he has meltdowns/tantrums, I don't do anything provided he isn't hurting himself or others.  He has learned that behavior doesn't get him any attention, so he eventually stopped doing it.  We use a positive reinforcement plan with him.  I typically ignore the negative behavior (provided there's no safety issues at hand) and just reinforce the positive behavior.  If he is tantruming and hurting himself or others, I physically block him so he can't harm himself, and once he stops trying to hit himself or bang his head on the floor, I give him attention.  He learned after a while that behavior didn't get him anywhere.

Now, all kids are different, so I'm just giving you the examples of how things work with MY child.

Hugs mama!

lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:50 AM

I watch toddlers.  We use positive reinforcement and directing and if need be (last resort) time out--  We use plan ignorance--

Ex. kid having fit-another kid doing something praise that kid-ignore the kid having fit behavior and/or if continues make sure they are in a safe place and have them rest for a couple minutes-when done talk in simple terms--

We always say no thank you and lets use our words

lifeisajoy
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:51 AM

also model what they are suppose to do--

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)