Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weird eating issue

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 4 Replies

Just wondering if anyone here can help me debunk what is going on. My daughter is just strating to get either baby food or blended food through her gtube. I made my first blend which was nice and high calorie which is what she needs. It had nothing in it she would have had any reactions to, she is allergic to milk and soy. I gave her a 2oz bolus feed followed by a 2oz flush of water. about 2 hours later she started acting sick, her color was gone out of her face, she was clingy and looked Ill. She had 2 loose poops and then in a half hour was back to her normal self. I did not do anymore bolus feeds of food that day I just did formula. The next morning she woke up but was very lethargic, she didnt really want to wake up but we had a day out planned for the water park. I eventually got her to get around by letting her eat a few squares of chocolate and then it seemed like after that got into her system she was better. Shes a very picky eater and when she does eat she perfers sweets. I was really worried she was getting sick again since we just got over hand foot and mouth and a UTI last week but then she was fine and today she has been fine too. I bolused a jar of baby food mixed with formula and we will see what happens today I guess. Im just really confused as to what happened the past 2 days. Im worried blended food is not going to work for us and I really want to get as much good food into her as I can.

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mlogsdon
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Im sorry, i don't have any good advice, never used a tube with mine. Are you positive there was nothing that could have upset her tummy? Mine has lots of sensitivities (EoE) so something that might not seem like a problem, actually could be. Every time we try something new, it has to be one thing at a time, and wait for a week to watch for reactions before introducing another. 

girlymom26
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Everything that was in it she has had before. I have seen some info on dumping syndrome and that could explain the sickness and loose stool after the feed but I'm not sure about the way she acted the next day. Today she's only had single ingredient baby food made thinner with formula and she's been ok. I'm bringing it up to her doctor on Friday so ill probably stick with single ingredient baby food until then. It's just hard to make it high calorie which Is what she needs.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hugs mama!  My son has a g-tube but we only put Pedisure through his tube.  Have you thought about calling the doctor or nutritionist?  

girlymom26
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I spoke with her nutritionist yesterday and she does believe she's suffering from dumping syndrome. We're now doing feeds every 2 hours and doing smaller amounts to hopefully avoid this. We're also really strictly watching what happens after each feed. I need to find a good app or some sheet or something that can help me monitor all this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)