Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What a way to spend the 4th of July! *PIC*

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

Brady is THE strongest little boy I know.  He spent all day today in the ER from an allergic reaction to peanuts.  Brady is primarily fed through a feeding tube, but does eat baby food...definitely not peanuts though!  He was sitting in my husband's lap this morning as Jeff (my husband) was eating crunchy peanut butter & apple slices for breakfast.  His eyes almost immediately started to swell up, and within about 20 minutes both of his eyes were almost swollen shut!  I immediately called his CF doctor in Virginia (as we are on vacation in Dallas) & he agreed that we should take him straight to the ER.  It took us a few minutes to think about it and figure out what Brady could have been allergic to as he has no allergies and we were stumped at first.  ER attending doctor confirmed that it was a reaction to a peanut allergy.  He gave him steriods, Benedryl, and sent us home with a prescription for 5 days of steroids plus an epi-pen.  We went through the training for an epi-pen with the pharmacist at the hospital.  Just got home, and I'm exhausted!  Ready for some BBQ!

Sorry the pictures are sideways:)

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mami286
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

IM SO GLAD HES OK AND YOU GUYS ARE BACK HOME TO STILL ENJOY YOUR 4TH OF JULY :)

jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Poor little guy! I'm glad you took him. Our friend's little boy went into anaphylaxis at preschool because another child had something with peanut butter at snack time and then touched him when they were playing. It is scary stuff! You will have to be sure everything is on file (and they have an epi pen) at school too. Our friends were told that even if they eat anything with peanuts and then kiss their son, or touch him before washing their hands thoroughly, he could have a reaction again.
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, so I'm answering both your postings on this, LOL.  Just because I had another thought when I was walking to the kitchen after being done with the other group.

So, you're traveling right now and flying back, right?  Some of the airlines still serve peanuts and the peanut protein spreads like crazy!!!  If it touches Brady, hives, swelling, etc.  I don't want to scare you, but have looked into all this with my son for the last 3 years.  Before you fly back, contact the airline and find out their in flight peanut policy.  If they do serve peanuts, maybe you can get them to obstain for your flight or switch flights to a non peanut airline if they will not.  And take wipes and wipe everything down he will touch on the plane if you go on a peanut flight.  We have not flown yet with our son partially because of this worry, but you'll find there is worry every where you go unfortunately.   

Just think, something new to add to the school health plan in the fall, yay!  Sorry, gotta find a laugh in this for you!  Glad Brady is ok.  Have a good and safe rest of your trip!!  

cnsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Poor little guy!  I'm glad that he is doing better, and that you found out what caused the reaction.  I hope that you all enjoy the rest of your vacation.  Enjoy your BBQ.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I am so glad he is okay. Finding out he has an allergy to peanuts that way has got to be scary as all get up. 

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Oh no! Poor Brady! I hope the rest of your vacation goes well.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Poor Brady. :( hope he feels better soon!
letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

ohhhhhh

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Wow!! Poor guy :( I'm glad he's ok!
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM
So glad he is ok... Hoping the rest if Dallas trip goes smooth!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)