Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

very new to all this and need advise.

Posted by   + Show Post

for the past ill say year ive noticed something difrent with my now 2 year old son, he has yet to say his first word, doesnt point doesnt make eye contact, he doesnt play with others, just alot of little things, at age 18mons i mentioned it to his dr, at the time he had other health issues (we found out he had an eye tumor at that time, and he is also blind in that eye) so it was over looked. he is now being assessed for autism :(  we did the M-CHAT assesment and he scored a 20. i dont know what to expect, his dad and i are devastated, i cry nightly, because i know deep down something isnt right with my baby, but im so scared of whats next. 

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Replies (11-18):
Trabrooke
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:17 AM

You can do this take it slowly  when my daughter was born with ds and autism it can be overwhelming  I take one thing at a time   I send lots of hugs to you and your husband  we are all here to listen   

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I would definitely take him to a developmental pediatrician and have him evaluated.  Hugs mama!

lissadavis
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I have two kiddos on the spectrum and a 3rd who is a possible and has vision issues and gets services from the South Dakota School for the Blind. Good news being considered on the spectrum contains a huge range from needing tons of assistance to being self sufficient, just quirky. I have an 18 year old who has aspergers who will be pre-med in the fall. It is not the end of the worls and having a diagnosis makes it easier to get services therough your local school system and outside of it. My sone recieves pt, & ot, in and out of school and until he turned 3 the local school district paid for 3 therapisits to come to out home every week. He went from laying on the floor not able to roll over or speak, he would just sping in circles like the hands of a clock, he did not make eye contact or even fuss when he neded changed or was hungry ever.

He is the one on the left with the big grin. It is amazing what can be acomplished with early intervention and hard work. Have faith

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM
*HUGS* we've all been there in one way or another! Getting the diagnoses (whatever the diagnoses is) is SO hard. It's scary, and unknown, and devastating.
We have also all survived it. There are bright, awesome, happy days in your future with your son! I promise.
mommy9164
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM

thank you guy!! i seem to be getting a ton of support the more i talk about it

girl_incognito
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I have autism... I've been married for 17yrs and have 3 kids... most importantly I am happy... and that is the purpose of life... to be happy. I have a 15 year old on the spectrum, he is doing pretty well too.

Your son will do just fine...support and accept him for who he is, quirks and all. I know you will because he is your baby.

You haven't lost your son, if anything you are figuring him out :D.

Quoting mommy9164:

thank you, and yes it feels as if ive lost my son, knowing that he wont do "normal" things like drive a car, get married live a "normal life" kills me. but hes my baby and i love him. and im so glad to hear the testing process will be like play for him, thats very comforting 

Quoting arkansasmama08:

I know how you feel. My oldest is on the spectrum and my other 2 were just tested. The youngest is only 3.
If he is, it'll be ok. A lot of people go thru the same stages as mourning. It's all a normal reaction. In a while you'll settle into the reality of it and get your rythym.
As far as testing, it's easy on the kids. Most of it is play.

letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome , im joy , lots of support here

lizard3731
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I understand.  When I first talked to someone about my son being autistic, I cried all the way home.  Even though I've gotten used to the idea, I still wonder what will happen with my son.  He's 4 1/2 and stilll doesn't talk.  Sometimes, I worry a lot.  I've found that it's best if I take the days as they come.  Good luck and God bless you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)