Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Missing Boy With Autism: Terry Smith Prompts Desperate Search

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

Missing Boy With Autism: Terry Smith Prompts Desperate Search (VIDEO)

by Adriana Velez

terry smithHundreds of people are desperately searching for a missing boy with autism. Eleven-year-old Terry Dewayne Smith was last seen 7:30 p.m. Saturday night in Menifee, California. He goes by the name "Juju." His mother reported him missing Sunday morning when she went to his bedroom to give him his medication and found his room empty. At this point, authorities believe Terry wandered from his home and wasn't abducted. But of course, no one knows for certain. Regardless, he could be alone, wandering without food, water, or medication in hot, Southern California summer temperatures.

Terry was last seen wearing blue basketball shorts. He is believed to be 4 feet, 7 inches, and about 76 pounds, with sandy brown/blond hair and blue eyes. His mother, Shauna Smith, describes him as "approachable, somewhat." She says he is sensitive to water, especially if it touches the top of his head. He will refuse to enter a home, boat, or parking area. He climbs rocks, but not trees or fences. He knows his phone number and is usually in touch with his mother if he's away from her.

Today, hundreds of volunteers and emergency workers are searching for Terry Smith around Menifee, which is located about 70 miles southeast of Los Angeles. The area is surrounded by rugged foothills. "There are a lot of rocks and areas not accessible by vehicle. There are a lot of areas where you might not see somebody unless you were right on top of them," says Lt. Charlie Wilhite of the Riverside County Sherriff's Department. Temperatures are expected to reach triple digits today.

There is a Find Terry Smith Facebook page where you can find more information, including how to help volunteer in the search. If you think you have seen Terry, or might know where he is, please contact the sherriff's Perris station at (951) 210-1000 or sherriff's dispatch at (951) 776-1099.

Our hearts go out to Terry Smith's family. We hope he's found alive and well -- very, very soon.

Video Here

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I hope they find him and he is safe and well.

The little 7 year old boy with Autism who went missing on Sunday in DC was found not too far from his home in a car a few days later. I haven't seen many details about how he died, but we have been in a heat wave here in the DC area.

There are just too many of these stories lately. :((
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Hope they find him. How sad.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I saw something in fb that said they'd called off the search and remains were found in their backyard. I don't know the credibility of that...
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM
OMG, that's horrible. I hope it's not true. :(

Quoting arkansasmama08:

I saw something in fb that said they'd called off the search and remains were found in their backyard. I don't know the credibility of that...

letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM

my stomach is soo sick

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Just read another report that said his 16 year old brother has been arrested for his murder :(. How heartbreaking
yo_ho
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM
A friend in the area posted that to facebook. It was his step brother. I can't imagine what the family is going through.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Just read another report that said his 16 year old brother has been arrested for his murder :(. How heartbreaking

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Its true.. they are not say much about the case. This is the second kid this week that came up missing. The other was a 7 year old i dc and he was highfunctioning. He was found dead in car a few blocks from his House the day after he came missing. They dont have cause of death. No sign of trama or anything like that. Checking his blood for any drugs.
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM
OMG, I can't even imagine. One child murdered and the other is the murderer? God help those parents...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN